In October I turn all my recipes into spooky Halloween fun! This Ghoulishly Green Vegan Potato Soup is my favorite potato soup with a twist.
I love the idea of having some fun savory dishes that your kids will be happy to eat before the candy binge begins. You can also try these recipes for some savory Halloween fun:
- Vegan Sin-cinnati Chili for Your Halloween Dinner
- Spooky Skull Vegan Pot Pies for a Haunted Halloween Dinner
- Swamp Monster Slow Cooker Jackfruit Gumbo
- Spooky Purple Potato Eyes with Smoked Avocado Mousse
You could cook this soup in your slow cooker if you’d prefer. Just add the raw potatoes, water, bouillon, and garlic, then cook on low for 7 to 9 hours. Right before you serve you’ll jump back into the regular directions pureeing the spinach and cashews to make it green and creamy – yum!
This is just one of the 25 spooky recipes you’ll find in my Halloween e-cookbook, The Ghoulish Gourmet Halloween e-Cookbook, you can get the Kindle version at Amazon for $3.99.
- 4 cups peeled and cubed Idaho potatoes
- 3 cups water
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup washed spinach and/or kale
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup cashews, soaked for 2 hours if you don’t have a powerful blender
- 5 to 8 drops liquid smoke
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 pieces of pumpernickel bread, optional
- Add the potatoes, water, bouillon and garlic to a soup pot. Bring to a boil over high heat, and then turn to medium. Simmer until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork, about 10 minutes.
- While the potatoes cook, preheat the oven to 350°. Cut the bread into small squares (or into Halloween shapes using cookie cutters) and spread on a baking sheet and bake for 5 to 10 minutes, until crispy. Set aside.
- Blend the spinach, yeast, cashews and liquid smoke with 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid. Purée until very smooth.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher while they are in the pot. It doesn’t have to be completely smooth. I like it a little chunky myself.
- Stir in the green mixture until completely incorporated. Serve topped with croutons.