I want to share one of my favorite lazy recipes with you today. This Quick and Easy Creamy Tomato Soup comes together with the least effort and tastes like you worked hard all day.
I have 3 different methods to cook it for you to choose from: on the stove, in your slow cooker or in your Instant Pot! Basically, you are cooking the oats and softening up the cashews. The oats and cashews are what makes this soup extra creamy.
I like my creamy tomato soup to be very thick, but you can add extra water to thin it out if you prefer it that way.
In case you don’t know, an Instant Pot is a multi-function cooker and it has a slow cooker, pressure cooker, rice cooker, porridge and yogurt maker settings. But you don’t have to have one to make this soup, just use your slow cooker or a pot on the stove-top.
What’s your favorite easy soup to make on the weekend? Do you have an electric pressure cooker? Let me know in the comments below.
Quick and Easy Creamy Tomato Soup
This soup is as easy as the condensed soups but free of the corn syrup and preservatives. You need a few things from your pantry, then you can make it in your slow cooker, Instant Pot or on the stove-top. Please note that you can easily halve this recipe and just use 1 can of either type tomatoes you happen to have on hand.
- 1 - 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes (can use tomato puree)
- 1 - 28 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup cashew pieces
- 3 tablespoons oats (rolled, steel-cut or Scottish)
- 1 to 2 vegetarian bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar, optional
- salt and pepper, to taste
Instant Pot Method
- Add all the ingredients EXCEPT for the agave nectar, salt and pepper to your Instant Pot. Cook on manual for 5 minutes and let the pressure come down naturally - that will take about 10 minutes.
Slow Cooker Method
- Add all the ingredients EXCEPT for the agave nectar, salt and pepper to your slow cooker. Cook on low 8 to 10 hours.
- Add all the ingredients EXCEPT for the agave nectar, salt and pepper to a soup pot. Cook on medium heat for 15 minutes to soften the cashews.