Don’t worry if you didn’t take the Instant Pot plunge yet, I added slow cooker instructions to the recipe so everyone can make it.
I used a lentil blend that’s often called autumn blend because of the multi-colors of the different type of lentils. You can use your own combination of lentils depending on what you have on hand. I like the blend because the yellow split peas and red lentils “melt” into the soup making it extra thick. You can make it using all plain brown lentils, but it won’t be as creamy.
So, what is an Instant Pot? It’s a brand of multi-cooker. It can pressure cook, slow cook, saute, cook rice, porridge and make homemade vegan yogurt too. I love mine and use it for cooking staples like beans, rice and oatmeal. It’s great for soups and stews too and I keep stretching the boundaries as usual.
I got my first one about a year ago. Any newfangled slow cooker is a shiny object that I want. I had been thinking about giving pressure cooking a go and this seemed like an easy way to try it out.
Vegan Instant Pot Lentil Vegetable Soup with Slow Cooker Variation
Everyone needs an easy go-to soup for winter. It can be because you're like me and don't want to leave the house if it's less than 40 degrees or you could be snowed in. This is made with ingredients you'd have on hand already and you can tweak it if you don't have everything.
for the saute
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or dry saute for no added oil)
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
for the soup
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, cubed
- 1 cup lentil blend (autumn blend, pachraya massoor, or mix of yellow split peas, red lentils, Beluga lentils and brown lentil)
- 5 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary powder (or 1 teaspoon dried whole rosemary)
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Turn on the Instant Pot and use the saute function. Heat the olive oil, then saute the onion until translucent. Add the garlic and saute a minute or two more.
- Turn off the saute function and add all the soup ingredients. Put the lid on and make sure the vent is closed. Press the manual button and set to cook for 10 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is over, allow it to release the pressure naturally. You'll know when you can open the lid because the little silver dot will no longer be up.
- Stir in the after cooking ingredients and serve yourself a big bowl. I like to have a big piece of crusty bread with it.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Saute the saute ingredients or be lazy and toss them in raw minus the oil with the soup ingredients. Cook on low 7 to 9 hours.
- Add the after cooking ingredients and serve!