For this warming Vegan Slow Cooker Lentil Vegetable Soup I used a lentil blend that’s often called autumn blend. The multi-colors of the different type of lentils attracted me to them.
The yellow split peas and red lentils “melt” into the soup as they cook down. It’s what makes this soup so creamy. That’s the real reason to use this blend.
The mixed lentils don’t keep the beautiful colors they have before you cook them. That’s why you can use your own combination of lentils depending on what you have on hand. You can even make it using all plain brown lentils, but it won’t be as creamy.
for the saute:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or dry saute for no added oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
for the soup:
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, cubed
- 1 cup lentil blend, autumn blend, pachraya massoor, or mix of yellow split peas, red lentils, Beluga lentils and brown lentil
- 5 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary powder, or 1 teaspoon dried whole rosemary
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Instant Pot Instructions:Turn on the Instant Pot and use the saute function. Heat the olive oil, then saute the onion until translucent. Add the garlic and saute a minute or two more.
- Turn off the saute function and add all the soup ingredients. Put the lid on and make sure the vent is closed. Press the manual button and set to cook for 10 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is over, allow it to release the pressure naturally. You'll know when you can open the lid because the little silver dot will no longer be up.
- Stir in the after cooking ingredients and serve yourself a big bowl. I like to have a big piece of crusty bread with it.
- Slow Cooker Instructions:Saute the saute ingredients or be lazy and toss them in raw minus the oil with the soup ingredients. Cook on low 7 to 9 hours.
- Add the after cooking ingredients and serve!
Amount Per Serving Calories 197Sodium 42mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 12gSugar 3gProtein 10g
More Recipes to Try
- Creamy Tomato Soup Recipe with Stove Top Instructions Too!
- Steel-Cut Oat Sausage Crumbles From OATrageous Oatmeals
- Vegan Spiced Sweet Purple Potato Baked Oatmeal