This chunky Swamp Monster Slow Cooker Jackfruit Gumbo is full of okra, tomatoes, vegan sausage and stringy jackfruit. One of my testers, Robin Fetter of The Real Vegan Housewife, says the soup had “an awesome foamy green effect on top” when she served it immediately, but that the green became less bright after twenty minutes. She highly recommends puréeing the greens into the soup.
This recipe is vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, and has no added oil so it’s perfect for all the guests you’re having over for Halloween or any other time.
This is just one of the 25 spooky recipes you’ll find in my Halloween e-cookbook, The Ghoulish Gourmet Halloween e-Cookbook. You can get the Kindle version at Amazon and if you have Kindle Unlimited you can read it for FREE!
For the main gumbo:
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups sliced okra, fresh or frozen
- 3 cups diced tomatoes or 2, 14.5 ounce cans
- 1 cup minced bell pepper, any color
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can, 20 ounce young green jackfruit in brine, rinsed with seeds removed *
- 2 large vegan sausages, Italian, Chik'n Apple, or Andouille, cut into quarters lengthwise and sliced
- 2 bouillon cubes, vegetable or vegan chicken flavor
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning blend, see recipe at bottom
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cup chopped spinach, kale or other mild green
- just enough water to puree, about 1/4 cup
- salt and pepper, to taste
- more Cajun seasoning blend, to taste – optional
- steamed rice, white, brown or forbidden
- hot sauce
- In the morning: Add all the main gumbo ingredients to your 4 quart slow cooker. Cook on low 7 to 9 hours.
- Minutes before serving: Add the greens to a blender with a little water and purée until smooth. Then add salt, pepper and more Cajun seasoning if needed.
- Remove bay leaves and serve gumbo topped with the green “swamp” purée and a scoop of rice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 527Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 51mgSodium 3398mgCarbohydrates 74gFiber 13gSugar 42gProtein 22g
Nutrition information is provided from nutritionix.com as a close estimate. If you have specific health issues please put the recipe information, including the exact ingredients you use, into the nutritional calculator your Dr. recommends.