Happy Thanksgiving! Many of you are on your way to relative’s or maybe even preparing your own house to have tons of people over. Me? I’m going to my local vegan Thanksgiving, so if you’re at Parizade come say hi!
If you don’t have plans or just decided to stay home, this Easy Thanksgiving Dinner for Two is just what you need. It all cooks in one 2-quart slow cooker and makes just enough.
Having a dinner with no leftovers means not spending as much time or money to get it on the table. It simply couldn’t be easier and you make it in your little slow cooker. That’s right, it’s written for a 1 1/2 to 2-quart slow cooker.
In this ‘all in one dinner’, there is a layer for each item. On the bottom tempeh or seitan cooks with water and a DIY bouillon powder to make a gravy as well as your protein. You can’t have Thanksgiving without dressing, and I did not let you down on this one. Layer two is wrapped in parchment and cooks right above the first layer. I use a vegan stuffing that’s easy to find at Whole Foods, and you can mix in some cranberries and/or pecans to make it a little more special.
The third layer is one of my favorites – sweet potatoes with a little brown sugar and cinnamon. You have to make the pumpkin pie separately- there wasn’t room in the slow cooker for it!
Easy Thanksgiving Dinner for Two
gluten-free option**, soy-free option*, oil-free
Bottom Layer (tempeh and gravy)
- 1 cup (235 ml) water
- 2 tablespoons (14 g) Golden Veggie Bouillon Powder (recipe below)
- Pinch each salt and pepper
- 8 ounces (225 g) tempeh (*or seitan for soy-free), cut into 2 slices
- 1 to 2 tablespoons (8 to 16 g) flour (**or gluten-free thickener)
Middle Layer (stuffing)
- 1 1/2 cups (42 g) packaged vegan stuffing (**or gluten-free stuffing)
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) water
- 1/4 cup (28 g) minced cranberries or pecans
Top Layer (candied sweet potatoes)
- Please note that this recipe is for a 1½ to 2 quart slow cooker. (You can double or triple to use a larger slow cooker.)
- Tear off 2 pieces of parchment paper or aluminum foil big enough to make an enclosed packet in the slow cooker. (You will use these for the middle and top layers. Set aside).
- Add the water, Golden Veggie Bouillon Powder, salt, and pepper to the slow cooker and mix. Add the tempeh (or seitan). (Set the flour aside for use right before serving).
- In a bowl, mix the stuffing ingredients.
- Transfer the mixture to the middle of one of the pieces of parchment and close it up so it will fit in the slow cooker. Place on top of the tempeh.
- Spread out the other piece of parchment and arrange the sweet potato slices on it and sprinkle with sugar, cinnamon, and salt. (You may need to stack them so they will fit in the slow cooker).
- Close up this package, place it on top of the stuffing packet, and replace the lid).
- Cook on low for 7 to 9 hours (or 3 hours on high).
- Remove the top two packets and set aside. Turn the slow cooker to high, remove the tempeh, and set aside.
- Whisk in the flour and set the tempeh back in. The gravy should thicken up enough while you plate up the potatoes and stuffing. Add a little more flour if needed.
- Place the tempeh on the plates and cover with gravy and stuffing.
Golden Veggie Bouillon Powder
soy-free, gluten-free, oil-free I typically make my bouillon and freeze the extras to use later. But what if you have no room in the freezer or if you want to take some camping? This powder is your answer. It stores in your spice cabinet and you just use 2 tablespoons (14 g) to substitute for 1 bouillon cube.
- Add everything to your food processor and blend until uniform.
- Use 2 tablespoons (14 g) bouillon powder wherever a recipe in the book calls for a bouillon cube.