Now that Halloween is over, we quickly move into the “official holiday season”. I have to say that I have no love for stores putting up Christmas trees and decorations before the leaves start to change color. I’m just not ready for the December holidays, but this Gluten-free Vegan Pumpkin Pie with a Teff Flour Pecan Crust is perfect for dinner tonight or for your big Thanksgiving celebration.
The teff crust is more delicate than a traditional pie crust, so I pat it into a disk and then spread it over the pie pan with my hands. Be sure to oil your pan or you will find it stuck everywhere you press!
I added some pecans to the crust for a flavor boost and because I love pecans with pumpkin. The filling is a little darker than some pumpkin pies due to the molasses. Even though you are adding just a touch it really compliments the spices and makes it just right!
More Vegan Teff Flour Recipes
- Gluten Free Vegan Teff Brownies
- Gluten-Free Chai-Spiced Teff Waffles
- Vanilla Gluten-free Vegan Pizzelles
- Teff Chocolate Chip Cookies with Pecans
- Vegan Teff Gingerbread
- Gluten-free Apple Teff Pancakes
- Vegan Gluten-free Teff Crepes
- Gluten-Free Vegan Teff Oat Rolls
Gluten-free Vegan Pumpkin Pie with a Teff Flour Pecan Crust
- 1 cup Maskal Ivory Teff Flour or brown teff flour
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup minced pecans
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 15 ounce/425g can pureed pumpkin (or 1 1/2 cup homemade)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons organic cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and oil a 9-inch pie pan.
Make the crust
- Put the Maskal Ivory Teff Flour, coconut oil, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt into your food processor. Pulse until the mixture looks like a coarse cornmeal.
- Add in the pecans and water to your food processor and pulse until a dough ball forms. Place the dough in a tight ball into the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Spread some flour on a cutting board and shape the dough into a disk. Then transfer to the pie pan and press it evenly up the sides. Use a fork or your fingers to decorate the edges.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then remove from oven and let cool before you add the filling.
Make the Filling
- Put the pumpkin, non-dairy milk, brown sugar, organic cornstarch, molasses, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, nutmeg, salt, and nutmeg into your blender and blend until smooth.
- Put the Pie Together and BakePut the pie pan with the prepared crust on a sheet pan. This will keep your oven clean and make it easier to grab the hot pie out of the oven later.
- Pour the filling into the crust and spread evenly using a spatula. Put in the oven and bake for 40 minutes.
- After the pie pan is cool enough to touch, move the pie to your refrigerator and let it chill for 3 hours so the filling will set up.
More pumpkin recipes for you to try:
- Vegan Whole Wheat Pumpkin Bread Minis
- Slow Cooker Maple Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Pumpkin Cranberry Dog Cookies
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice Frozen Coffee
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Coconut Caramel Sauce
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Spice Cashew Creamer
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Coffeecake Steel-cut Oatmeal
- Vegan Pumpkin Gingerbread with No Added Oil
- Harry Potter’s Pumpkin Juice
- Vegan Pecan Pumpkin Shake – No Ice Cream Needed!