My Gluten-free Vegan Pumpkin Pie is perfect for dinner tonight or for your big Thanksgiving celebration. The teff pecan crust makes it unique and more flavorful than a traditional pumpkin pie. Plus since it’s allergy-friendly you can include everyone!
Vegan Pumpkin Pie Recipes Are a Must!
Everyone needs an easy vegan pumpkin pie recipe they can whip up for Thanksgiving. Or, if you are like me, you may eat pumpkin all year round.
How Do You Make a Teff Pecan Pie Crust?
The gluten free vegan pie crust is more delicate than a traditional pie crust, so I pat it into a disk and then spread it over the pie pan with my hands. Be sure to oil your pan or you will find it stuck everywhere you press!
I added some pecans to the crust for a flavor boost and because I love pecans with pumpkin. The filling is a little darker than some pumpkin pies due to the molasses. Even though you are adding just a touch it really compliments the spices and makes it just right!
Why Make a Vegan Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie?
Okay, first and foremost because it tastes great. But secondly it can be very hard to eat at large family celebrations once you’re vegan or get that diagnosis that you can no longer eat gluten.
Can I Make This Gluten-free Vegan Pie Crust without Nuts?
You can make this without nuts, but you will have to adjust the oil and flour to make the crust texture just right.
More Vegan Teff Flour Recipes
- Gluten Free Vegan Teff Brownies
- Gluten-Free Chai-Spiced Teff Waffles
- Vegan Teff Gingerbread
- Gluten-free Apple Teff Pancakes
- Vegan Gluten-free Teff Crepes
- Gluten-Free Vegan Teff Oat Rolls
Gluten-free Vegan Pumpkin Pie with a Teff Flour Pecan Crust
- 1 cup Maskal Ivory Teff Flour or brown teff flour
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup minced pecans
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 15 ounce/425g can pureed pumpkin (or 1 1/2 cup homemade)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons organic cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and oil a 9-inch pie pan.
Make the crust
- Put the Maskal Ivory Teff Flour, coconut oil, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt into your food processor. Pulse until the mixture looks like a coarse cornmeal.
- Add in the pecans and water to your food processor and pulse until a dough ball forms. Place the dough in a tight ball into the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Spread some flour on a cutting board and shape the dough into a disk. Then transfer to the pie pan and press it evenly up the sides. Use a fork or your fingers to decorate the edges.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then remove from oven and let cool before you add the filling.
Make the Filling
- Put the pumpkin, non-dairy milk, brown sugar, organic cornstarch, molasses, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, nutmeg, salt, and nutmeg into your blender and blend until smooth.
- Put the Pie Together and BakePut the pie pan with the prepared crust on a sheet pan. This will keep your oven clean and make it easier to grab the hot pie out of the oven later.
- Pour the filling into the crust and spread evenly using a spatula. Put in the oven and bake for 40 minutes.
- After the pie pan is cool enough to touch, move the pie to your refrigerator and let it chill for 3 hours so the filling will set up.