These gluten-free apple teff pancakes with homemade date caramel syrup are a great way to baby yourself, celebrate fall, and feed yourself a refined-sugar-free treat.
I don’t know about you, but this autumn I need to get back into a healthy routine. Breakfast is a great place to start treating yourself well.
Please note that this post is sponsored by The Teff Company, the makers of Maskal Teff™ products. If you can’t find them in your local store you can order Maskal Teff™ products on Amazon.
These apple teff pancakes will have you jumping out of bed. They are full of whole grain fiber and fresh chopped apples.
Add a drizzle of vegan caramel sauce and it tastes like you’re having dessert for breakfast. But much, much healthier.
Other Ways to Use Date Caramel
- Add a tablespoon to your tea or coffee
- Drizzle over your morning oatmeal
- Mix in nice cream
More Vegan Teff Flour Recipes
- Gluten Free Vegan Teff Brownies
- Gluten-Free Chai-Spiced Teff Waffles
- Vanilla Gluten-free Vegan Pizzelles
- Teff Chocolate Chip Cookies with Pecans
- Vegan Teff Gingerbread
- Vegan Pumpkin Pie with a Teff Flour Pecan Crust
- Vegan Gluten-free Teff Crepes
- Gluten-Free Vegan Teff Oat Rolls
Gluten-free Apple Teff Pancakes with Homemade Date Caramel Syrup
What if you could have a caramel apple for breakfast? These teff pancakes are my healthier version that you really can start your day with. The pancakes are full of whole grains and can be made with no added oil. They are sweetened with fresh apples and a little of the date caramel syrup. Try them in the morning before you head out to the fair or go on a long autumn walk.
Date Caramel Syrup Ingredients:
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 1/2 cups water, more if needed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup unsweetened nondairy milk
- 2 tablespoons ground flax mixed with 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon mild oil, optional
- 2 tablespoons date caramel syrup or maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup peeled and minced fresh apple
- 1 cup Maskal Ivory Teff Flour, or brown teff flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Make the Date Caramel SyrupAdd the dates and water into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Then turn the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Carefully pour into your blender with the vanilla and blend until smooth. Add extra water, ¼ cup at a time, to thin the syrup if it’s too thick.
- Make the PancakesAdd the nondairy milk, flax mixture, oil (if using), sweetener of choice, vanilla to a mixing bowl and mix well. Then stir in the minced apple.
- Mix the Maskal Ivory Teff Flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a separate medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix well. The batter mixture will be thick, but you can thin it by stirring in some extra water a tablespoon at a time as you need it.
- Scoop a heaping ¼ cup of batter and spread in a thick circle and cook until the bottom edges start to look dry. Flip and cook on the other side until it browns. Repeat until all the batter is cooked.
- Serve topped with Date Caramel Syrup or maple syrup if you prefer.
Amount Per Serving Calories 172Sodium 94mgCarbohydrates 32gFiber 4gSugar 17gProtein 3g
Your pancakes look delicious! Do you think the same recipe would work with white whole wheat flour? I don’t have any Teff flour.
Kathy Hester says
I do think regular flour could be substituted. I do that in many recipes.
I want to tell you that I LOOOOVE these pancakes and make them often! Simple to make, come together quickly and so yummy. My toddler also approves 🙂 This is our weekend breakfast staple and leftovers freeze and refrigerate beautifully for a quick on the go breakfast during the week. Thanks so much!!
Delicious, will definitely make again. I ground some whole teff in my coffee grinder to make the flour, and used unsweetened soy milk and almond oil. Loved the date topping, a nice twist, and the apple adds a wonderful fall sweetness.