Cheryl insists on having a Tofurky a few times a year and I have always enjoyed them. I know some of you are not a fan of faux meats and if that’s you head over to this post on Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Tempeh or make some Slow Cooker Mole Mushrooms.
I think that the older we get the more we crave food from out past. Being vegan means that I won’t eat some traditional foods, but I love veganizing some of those familiar flavors. A protein with stuffing, veggies and mashed potatoes can work with a few tweaks for everyone.
Thanksgiving is behind us which means Tofurkys are about to go on sale! We always stock up while they are cheaper and enjoy them throughout the year. In addition to my slow cooker recipe below, be sure to check out this list of Tofurky recipes I’ve compiled. The Shannons know how to rock a Tofurky.
Slow Cooker Maple Herb Tofurky
If you or a member of your family loves Tofurkey you need to try my slow cooker recipe. It makes a gravy that's slightly sweet and full of herbs. Plus it's all hands off time!
- 1 Tofurkey
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon Better than Boullion vegetable flavor (or 2 homemade vegetable bouillon cubes)
- 3/4 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1/8 teaspoons black pepper
- Place the tofurky in your 2 to 3 quart slow cooker. Mix the sauce ingredients together and pour over the Tofurky.
- Cook on low 7 to 9 hours. If you are at home you can turn the roast over once or twice, but it's fine if you don't. Just make sure to pour gravy over all the servings.