I hate to tell you this, but I’ve been holding out on you. I’ve been making these Vegan Air Fryer Southern Fried “Chicken” Soy Curls for months! It’s taken me awhile to get the time to take photos and actually write down the recipe, but it’s worth the wait.
What are soy curls? They just have one ingredient: Whole Non-GMO soybeans. The are sold in stores near the west coast. Since I’m in North Carolina, I order my Butler Soy Curls on Amazon.
Soy curls look a lot like TVP and come dehydrated. For this recipe, I rehydrate them with boiling water, but when I use them in slow cooker or Instant Pot recipes, I usually put them in dry with extra liquid to save time and effort.
In 5 to 10 minutes, they are plump and ready to go. Some people soak them in broth, but in this recipe I add flavor through the delicious coating.
Even after you drain the soy curls, there will be enough moisture to hold on the coating. Sometimes some of the coating soaks up some liquid and makes little crunchies separate from the soy curl. These are great on salads.
Vegan Air Fryer Southern Fried “Chicken” Soy Curls
- 1/2 bag Butler Soy Curls 4 ounces
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup fine ground cornmeal can sub flour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
Put the soy curls in a heat proof pan on the stove and pour the boiling water over them. Let them soak for 5 to 10 minutes, or until soft and plump.
Pour into a strainer in your sink to drain, then press the extra water out with a large spoon.
- Mix the breading ingredients together well in a small bowl.
- Add the drained soy culls to a large bowl and mix in breading well. You want to coat each piece.
- Place the breaded soy curls into your air fryer and cook at 380 degrees for 5 minutes. Shake and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Serve as is with fries or over mashed potatoes with a golden gravy.
More Recipes to Try
- Got to Be NC Air Fried Tofu Rancheros with Veggies and Little Face Salsa
- Vegan Air Fryer French Toast
- Air Fryer Sesame, Ginger and Garlic Edamame