I love bagels. There’s nothing better than a nice smear on an everything bagel. I really miss the fresh-baked bagels I got in my neighborhood when I lived in Brooklyn. There was a place that sold bagels wholesale, and you could smell the cinnamon raisin ones baking from blocks away.
It felt like you were doing something a little underhanded when you went through the back door into the huge room of ovens, men and cooling racks. Someone would eventually notice, and tell you what they were baking that night. It was a cash only endeavor, making it seem elicit.
As much as I romanticize about those bagels, I’m in North Carolina now. It’s not the bagel capital of the world, but the bagels are pretty decent here if you go to the right places. Hint: the right place is not the grocery store. I’ve found a bakery that makes a whole wheat everything bagel – which, in my opinion, is the perfect combo.
I’ve solved my problem of getting bagels, but there is another issue. Now that I don’t eat dairy I’ve found that I’m not very fond of most of the store-bought vegan cream cheeses. I created a homemade version using a perfectly ripe avocado I had on the counter.
Avocados are nature’s butter and makes your homemade vegan cream cheese more luxurious. I created my favorite garlic herb combination, but you make your favorite flavor by mixing in what you like. Be sure to try walnut agave, chopped olives or blended strawberry.
Garlic Herb Avocado Cashew Cream Cheese
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium avocado
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic or 1 minced clove
- salt to taste
- Soak the cashew in the water overnight or at least 2 hours.
- Drain off any left over water that was not absorbed by the cashews. Add the drained cashews, avocado, lemon juice, Italian seasonings and garlic into a blender.
- Blend until smooth, stop and scrape down the sides and repeat until the mixture is smooth.
Here are more spreads for your next brunch buffet:
- Vegan Kale Stem Pesto
- Easy Vegan Black-Eyed Pea Pecan Pate
- Gathering Dreams’ Avocado Toast
- Sun Dried Tomato Eggplant Spread
- Trio of Vegan Halloween Spooky Spreads (they are still tasty all year round!)