Pecans, Chocolate, and Dates – oh my! This is my new favorite spread and it’s good on just about anything. I enjoyed turtle butter on crackers, graham crackers and between 2 slices of whole wheat bread and grilled. Tell me how you are using it – I’m dying to know!
I always have pecans in my pantry because Cheryl gets a few pounds from her work at the holidays. If I’m really lucky a co-worker or two will donate their pecans to use too. Depending on where you live, pecans can be expensive.
When I was in my 20’s and lived in New York I went searching for some to make a chocolate bourbon pecan pie for a dinner party I was going to. I was shocked by the price of pecans and realized I wasn’t in North Carolina anymore. It was an ah-ha moment for me.
You can make this with just about any nut you have in your pantry. You might have to add a little more liquid, however it should be almost the same amount of all of the other ingredients.
I think this goes well with anything you think Nutella (or a vegan sub) would be welcome. I used it in The Kitchn’s Oatmeal Nutella Mug recipe in place of the non-vegan Nutella, and I loved it. Let me know what recipes you use your turtle butter in by commenting below. I can’t wait to hear!
The only time-consuming step is to cook the dates to soften them up. Really, that’s not much time at all. I used cacao powder because I have some in my pantry, but plain old cocoa powder would taste just as terrific. You can also add more maple syrup or dates if you’d like yours sweeter.
- 10 dates
- 2 cups water, for cooking the dates
- 2 cups pecans, toasted
- 3 tablespoons [url]cacao powder∞http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EKLPLU4/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00EKLPLU4&linkCode=as2&tag=healslowcook-20&linkId=HPWVNRWPYVMFISUC[/url], or cocoa
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- pinch salt
- Put the dates and water into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn off heat and let sit for 15 minutes. This softens the dates and makes it easier to puree them.
- Add the pecans, cacao powder, maple syrup and salt.
- Add in the dates and 2 tablespoons of the cooking liquid.
- Puree, scrape the bowl down and process until very smooth adding more cooking liquid if needed.
Amount Per Serving Calories 110Sodium 2mgCarbohydrates 8gFiber 1gSugar 5gProtein 1g