I hope that you are having a wonderful holiday! I don’t know about you, but this time of the year wears me out. Robin Robertson’s new book, Cook the Pantry, is the perfect go-to cookbook for when you’re too tired to cook an elaborate meal. In fact, it’s great for a quick and easy meal out of your pantry anytime.
I have Robin’s recipe for Artichoke Muffaleta Po’ Boys that are perfect for a time out from all the festivities. Or you could triple the recipe and serve it to guests on a moment’s notice!
Robin has a chapter on cooking from your pantry and generally making your life easier in the kitchen. Then there’s soups, stews, chilis, salads, pizza, burgers, sandwiches, stovetop meals, pasta and a few sweet treats too!
What’s your go to from-the-pantry meal?
Artichoke Muffaleta Po’ Boys from Cook the Pantry
The best of two popular New Orleans culinary icons join forces to create the ultimate sandwich in these po’boys made with artichokes and a piquant olive relish. (Recipe from Cook the Pantry © 2015 by Robin Robertson. Photo by Annie Oliverio. Used by permission Vegan Heritage Press LLC.)
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/3 cup pickled vegetables, well-drained
- 1/3 cup pimiento-stuffed green olives, well-drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, well-drained and halved
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun spice blend
- 3 tablespoons Creole mustard
- 3 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 2 small sub rolls
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- Pickled sliced jalapeños
- Tabasco or other hot sauce, to serve
- In a food processor, combine the scallion and garlic and process until finely minced. Add the pickled vegetables, olives, and pulse to make a relish. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the artichoke hearts, season with the spice blend, and cook until nicely browned, about 5 minutes per side.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread the mayonnaise and mustard on the inside top and bottom of the bread. Spread the lettuce onto the bottom of each sandwich, followed by tomato slices. Top with the relish mixture, a few slices of jalapeños, and the artichokes. Serve at once with Tabasco.
Here are some of my other favorite vegan sandwich option: