I hope that you are having a wonderful holiday! I don’t know about you, but this time of the year wears me out. Robin Robertson’s new book, Cook the Pantry, is the perfect go-to cookbook for when you’re too tired to cook an elaborate meal. In fact, it’s great for a quick and easy meal out of your pantry anytime.
I have Robin’s recipe for Artichoke Muffaleta Po’ Boys that are perfect for a time out from all the festivities. Or you could triple the recipe and serve it to guests on a moment’s notice!
Robin has a chapter on cooking from your pantry and generally making your life easier in the kitchen. Then there’s soups, stews, chilis, salads, pizza, burgers, sandwiches, stovetop meals, pasta and a few sweet treats too!
What’s your go to from-the-pantry meal?
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/3 cup pickled vegetables, well-drained
- 1/3 cup pimiento-stuffed green olives, well-drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, well-drained and halved
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun spice blend
- 3 tablespoons Creole mustard
- 3 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 2 small sub rolls
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- Pickled sliced jalapeños
- Tabasco or other hot sauce, to serve
- In a food processor, combine the scallion and garlic and process until finely minced. Add the pickled vegetables, olives, and pulse to make a relish. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the artichoke hearts, season with the spice blend, and cook until nicely browned, about 5 minutes per side.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread the mayonnaise and mustard on the inside top and bottom of the bread. Spread the lettuce onto the bottom of each sandwich, followed by tomato slices. Top with the relish mixture, a few slices of jalapeños, and the artichokes. Serve at once with Tabasco.
Amount Per Serving Calories 431Saturated Fat 2gSodium 1169mgCarbohydrates 54gFiber 16gSugar 6gProtein 15g
Here are some of my other favorite vegan sandwich options
- Cajun French Fry Po’ Boy with Vegan Mushroom Gravy (Air Fryer and Oven Directions)
- Cauliflower Po’ Boy Sandwiches
- All Natural Carrot Dogs from The Easy Vegan Cookbook
- Roasted Butternut Squash Burgers