JL’s book has a great intro to pressure cooking and cooking time charts. There are chapters on beans and grains, soups and stews. one-pot meals, sides, dips and even a few sweets. Before you know it, you’ll be cooking all your meals in your Instant Pot or pressure cooker.
I don’t have a stove-top pressure cooker, but this came out great in my Instant Pot. It reminds me of a faux chicken casserole only with pasta in place of rice. You could use this recipe as a jumping off point. Next time I’m going to turn it into a South of the Border dish with some beans, green peppers, tomatoes, chili powder and maybe even some green chilies or jalapenos.
Let me go back a bit and explain what soy curls are and where you can get them. They are a dehydrated soy product made of non-GMO soybeans. While they look a lot like TVP they are made with the whole soybean and tvp is made from defatted soy flour.
You can see them rehydrated above. They are great in a bbq sauce, mixed in pasta or used in your favorite childhood casserole. I usually chop them up a bit because they are too long to be bite-sized.
I mostly followed the recipe, but I did add 1 teaspoon of a chili powder blend and 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika. I love a little smoky flavor!
Instant Pot Vegan Mac ’n Cheese with Soy Curls
- 2 cups Soy Curls
- 2 cups warm water plus 2 cups cool water
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons “chicken style” seasoning
- 1 cup spelt elbow pasta
- Approximately 2 and 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 ounces shredded vegan cheese
- Sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Place Soy Curls in a container large enough to cover with warm water and soak for 8-10 minutes to re-hydrate then drain excess water.
- Heat vegan butter on medium-high heat in an uncovered pressure cooker.
- Add onion and garlic and sauté until onion is translucent.
- Stir in Soy Curls and Chik-Style seasoning and sauté for about five minutes.
- Add pasta, the remaining 2 cups of cool water (or as needed enough to cover the pasta), stir, add nutritional yeast, stir well, pat down the soy curls and cover the pressure cooker.
- Bring to pressure.
- Cook at low pressure for five minutes. Use a quick release method.
- Uncover, stir and taste. Stir in optional vegan cheese and/or salt and ground black pepper.
- Let sit for about five minutes before serving.