Last week I gave you a list of recipes you can make when life seems too hard. Today, I’m posting my latest healthy recipe that you’re going to love. It’s made in your Instant Pot and is made of mostly black-eyed peas and long grain brown rice. Best of all it’s extremely easy to make.
There are some spices involved, but you can use your favorite Cajun spice blend in place of those to make it easier. I do use fresh onions which you can saute with or without oil. But if that’s more work than you can do on any given day use about 1 teaspoon onion powder in its place.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or water saute to make this oil-free
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/2 cup minced bell pepper, any color
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
Instant Pot Ingredients:
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups long grain brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups dried black-eyed peas
- 1 cup peeled and diced sweet potato
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram, or use oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- pinch ground cloves
- 2 cups minced kale, collards, or spinach
- 1 14.5 0z can crushed tomatoes (can substitute diced tomatoes if that's all you have on hand)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- salt, to taste (optional)
- hot sauce, for serving
- Use the saute setting over normal, or medium heat, and heat the oil, if using. Saute the onion until transparent. Then add the bell pepper and garlic. Saute a minute more.
- Add the water, brown rice, black-eyed peas, sweet potato, smoked paprika, marjoram, thyme, cayenne pepper, allspice, cloves and liquid smoke. Put the lid on and make sure that the vent is sealed. Cook on manual setting at high pressure and set for 24 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally. Mix in the greens, tomatoes, and nutritional yeast. Salt to taste before serving.
It’s getting to be bean season soon, so here are some other Instant Pot Bean recipes you might be interested in:
- Vegan Instant Pot Cranberry Bean, Millet and Bulgur Chili
- Vegan Instant Pot White Bean Soy Curl Chili
- Smoky Vegan Split Pea Soup with Sweet Potatoes and Navy Beans
- Vegan Instant Pot Teff Vegetable Soup
- Vegan Creamy Black-Eyed Peas