I know we bloggers talk a lot about the seasons and weather, but the changes in the weather and seasonal produce are big inspirations for recipes.
I don’t even know what to say about our weather the past 2 months because one week I have the house open because it’s been in the 80s and then last night it snowed. It’s almost the middle of March.
Not much to say except if you live in North Carolina make sure you’re wearing layers and maybe enjoy a warming bowl of this Vegan Butternut Squash Okra Gumbo with Brown Rice.
The taste of butternut squash and the bright orange color scream autumn comfort food to me. I decided to make a bowl of this vegan butternut squash okra gumbo to celebrate fall.
If you want to try to make this in your Instant Pot DO NOT cook the thick roux in it. Instead do all the other ingredients in the IP and make the roux on the stovetop. If you add it all in together the mixture will be too thick to come up to pressure and you’ll get a burn notice.
You can also make this oil free by just toasting flour and leaving out the oil. The roux won’t need to cook as long and the gumbo will be a little thinner, but it will still taste great!
This is a Cajun gumbo, so it does not contain any tomatoes. The roux is what thickens the gumbo and gives it a deeper flavor. Butternut squash isn’t a traditional ingredient, but I think it works well.
I used a homemade vegan andouille sausage that’s in The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook for Your Instant Pot, so I can’t share it here. But you can order the book here or there are a few vegan brands that make it too.
Want a hands off gumbo? Then try this Slow Cooker White Bean Quinoa Gumbo instead.
Vegan Butternut Squash Okra Gumbo
for the roux:
- 1/4 cup avocado oil or other mild oil
- 1 cup unbleached white flour or you can use white whole wheat
for the saute:
- 3/4 cup minced onion
- 3/4 cup minced bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons regular paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon to 1 tablespoons ground cayenne pepper to taste
for the simmer:
- 8 cups water
- 3 cups sliced okra
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 2 cups chopped vegan andouille sausage or your favorite cooked beans
- 4 cups 4 cups cooked brown rice
- Tabasco or other vinegar based hot sauce , optional
Make the roux
- In a large soup pot, over low heat, add the oil and flour and mix well. You will slowly toast this mixture.
- It will start out a pale white and then after about 15 minutes it will be a light brown. After 15 more it will be more maple colored.
- The most important thing is to not let this burn and stir often throughout the roux cooking process. If you burn it you must throw it out and start again. So go low and slow.
- Since this process takes about 30 minutes I like to prep my veggies while this is cooking. Cut a little, stir the roux, cut some more, etc.
- Once the roux is a medium brown and begins to smell almost like toasted nuts, add in the the onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Turn up the heat to medium low, stir and saute until the veggies begin to soften.
Make the Gumbo
- Add in the herbs and spices. You can leave the salt, pepper, and cayenne to add before serving if you want. Or start small and add more at the end if you're not sure how you like it yet.
- Add the water, okra, butternut squash, and andouille or beans. Cover and let cook over medium-low heat until the okra and squash are soft, about 20 minutes.
- Taste and re-season salt, pepper, and cayenne as needed. I make ours very mild since I'm the only one in my householdwho likes spicy food. I just add in lots of hot sauce to my bowl.
- Serve topped with rice and hot sauce on the side.
- Note: this freezes well too, so I make up containers with th gumbo and rice to freeze for grab and go lunches!
More Recipes to Try
- Mashed Potato Crusted Butternut Squash, Brussels Sprouts, and Tofu Pie
- A Vegan Slow Cooker Menu Plan That Makes Autumn Easy!
- Roasted Butternut Squash Burgers with Sabra Spread