I’ve been in love with the humble turnip and rutabaga ever since my first winter CSA. The wonderful thing about them is that they are inexpensive, keep for a long period of time and how they mellow out with cooking. If you have some left over from the risotto, try roasting them and serving them on salads and pizzas.
Using barley allows this risotto to cook all day. Do not substitute rice because it will cook in 1 1/2 to 2 hours and be a paste when you come home form work!
You could also use whole spelt berries or oat groats.
Root Veggie Barley Risotto
In the morning:
- 2 cups 475 ml water
- 1/2 cup 92 g barley
- 1/2 cup 65 g diced carrots
- 1/2 cup 75 g diced turnips or rutabagas, peeled
- 1/2 cup 67 g diced sweet potatoes or (70 g) winter squash
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
In the evening:
- 1 cup 56 g minced greens (such
- as turnips collards, kale, etc.)
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In the morning:Add all the morning ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.
- Minutes before serving:Add the greens and lemon zest.
- Right before serving, add salt and pepper to taste. Also add more oregano and/or sage if needed.