Looking for a dump-and-go recipe that’s actually good for you and tastes delicious? This Root Veggie Barley Slow Cooker Risotto is for you!
This recipe is perfect for a cozy night in by yourself or with a partner.
Many people who live alone or with just one other person find most recipes make entirely too much!
But my slow cooker recipes for 2 are made just for you. Cheryl and I live in a 2 person household, I completely understand.
Small 1 1/2 or 2-quart slow cookers are great for cooking small meals like barley risotto, root veggies, and set it and forget it. They are perfect for someone who needs to cook for just one or two people.
I’ve been in love with the humble turnip and rutabaga ever since my first winter CSA.
The wonderful thing about them is that they are inexpensive, keep for a long period of time, and how they mellow out with cooking.
If you have some leftovers from the risotto, try roasting them and serving them on salads and pizzas.
Using barley allows this risotto to cook all day. Do not substitute rice because it will cook in 1 1/2 to 2 hours and be a paste when you come home from work!
You could also use whole spelt berries or oat groats.
More Small Slow Cooker Recipes
- Fresh Corn Rissoto Recipe
- Autumn Harvest Veggie Soup
- Slow Cooker Corn Chowder with Green Chilies
- Slow Cooker Yellow-Eyed Bean Soup For 2
- Bean and Oat Chili for 2
- Easy Thanksgiving Dinner for Two
- Beyond Easy Slow Cooker Beans – 1 1/2 Quart Version
- 6 Vegan Slow Cooker Recipes for 2-Quart Crockpots
Root Veggie Barley Risotto
In the morning:
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced turnips , r peeled diced rutabagas
- 1/2 cup diced sweet potatoes , or winter squash
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
In the evening:
- 1 cup minced greens like turnips, collards, kale
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Salt and pepper , to taste
In the morning:
- Add all the morning ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.
- Minutes before serving:Add the greens and lemon zest.
Right before serving
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Also add more oregano and/or sage if needed.