You already know I love my Instant Pot and you can always get to all my Instant Pot recipes here. In this post I’m sharing a recipe from Vegan Cookbook for Your Instant Pot, for one of my favorite quick and easy meals – Vegan Instant Pot Creamy Mushroom Curry and Pilaf.
For this recipe you’ll need a pyrex or stainless steel dish that will fit inside your Instant Pot. In my older 6-quart, I use 3-cup rectangle Pyrex dishes, but that doesn’t work in all newer models. I suggest trying one that you already have, or to invest in these stacked stainless steel covered pans. You can always measure the inside of your pot before you go shopping.
Now to get back to the recipe. In the bottom we cook the brown rice pilaf, and on top of that, in an oven-safe dish, we cook the curry. The rice takes longer to cook, but by putting the curry in a pot, it slows the cooking down.
The Idaho Potato Commission is doing a giveaway each week in September. Each winner will get a copy of my book, The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook for Your Instant Pot, an Instant Pot, and some Idaho Potatoes to cook in it!
To celebrate, I will be doing a Facebook Live each Tuesday in September at 1pm EST. I will be talking about cooking potatoes in your Instant Pot and give you a different quick and easy recipe each time.
You can watch them live on my Healthy Slow Cooking Facebook page. But if you can’t make it live, you can still watch the recordings on the same page. I’ll also put the links here one one is posted.
Vegan Instant Pot Creamy Mushroom Curry and Pilaf
For the Brown Basmati Rice Pilaf
- 1 cup 185 g brown basmati rice
- 1 1/2 cups 355 ml water
- 1 cardamom pod
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the Creamy Mushroom Curry
- 1 1/2 cups 108 g sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup 128 g cubed Idaho Potatoes, cauliflower florets, carrots, sweet potato or combination
- 1/2 cup 120 ml unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1/4 cup 61 g unsweetened plain vegan yogurt or cashew cream
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp chili powder
- For the rice pilaf, combine the rice, water, cardamom pod, cinnamon stick, cumin seeds, turmeric and salt in your Instant Pot insert.
- For the mushroom curry, get a Pyrex dish that fits into your Instant Pot, then mix the mushrooms, potatoes, milk, yogurt, ginger, garlic, salt, garam masala, turmeric, coriander and chili powder in it. Cover with foil.
- Note: If your pan does not fit inside the rack handles, you will need to fashion some handles out of aluminum foil to lower the pan into the cooker. Tear off two pieces of foil about 3 feet (1 m) long, fold each one lengthwise two times. Lay the foil handles out on the counter in a plus sign near your cooker. Place your pan in the center, where the two pieces cross. Pull the handles up and carefully lift the pan and set it and the foil handles into your Instant Pot.
- Cook on high pressure for 27 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally.
- Once the pressure indicator goes down, remove the lid, lift out the pan using the foil handles and remove the foil that’s covering the pan.
- Remove and discard the cardamom pod and cinnamon stick from the rice.