Fresh corn has started to appear in my CSA box. We eat it straight on the cob for the first few meals, then once that’s out of our system I can start cooking with it too. This vegan crockpot corn chowder is the perfect meal when you pair it with a hearty salad.
This recipe is from my book, Vegan Slow Cooking for Two and Fair Winds is letting me share it with you today. One of my favorite things about using fresh corn is having the cob itself to flavor broths. It’s awesome to use in risotto too, just remove it when you’re ready to serve, or in the case of the soup before you puree it.
- 1 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels, from about 3 small ears of fresh corn, or frozen
- 1 to 2 corn cobs to flavor the broth
- 1 3-inch piece carrot
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon sautéed minced onion
- 1 tablespoon green chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon jalapeño powder or jalapeño salt
- vegan sour cream or cashew cream, for topping
- Add everything except for the optional sour cream to the slow cooker, and cook on low for 6 to 9 hours.
- Remove the corn cobs and then use an immersion blender to purée the mixture (or purée it in a blender). Taste and then add salt and pepper. Adjust the chili powder or jalapeño powder to suit your taste.
- Serve topped with a dollop of vegan sour cream or cashew cream.
Amount Per Serving Calories 223Sodium 357mgCarbohydrates 46gFiber 6gSugar 10gProtein 7g