This is a twist on the heavy, fat laden traditional lasagna.
One of the questions I get as soon as I tell people I’m a vegetarian is ‘How do you get protein?’. We don’t need as much protein as they thought we did in the 50′s. But sometimes when you are switching your diet adding a little extra protein can help you feel less hungry.
This is a perfect dish to serve at a dinner party. It’s easy to make and hearty. Just add a nice spinach salad with a balsamic vinaigrette and you’re all ready for company.
Slow Cooker Protein Packed Pumpkin Lasagna
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 6 -8 hours
- 1 batch Pumpkin Tofu “Ricotta” – recipe below
- 3/4 package of whole wheat lasagna
- 1 jar organic marinara sauce (homemade works fine too!)
- 1-16 0z can cooked white beans (low or no salt is best, and organic if you can find it)
Pumpkin Tofu “Ricotta”
- 1 container tofu (silken, soft or firm – they all work fine)
- 1-15 oz. can cooked pumpkin (or the equivalent cooked fresh pumpkin)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (give it a try adds a more cheesy flavor)
- 1 Tb. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 Tb olive oil
- 3 sun-dried tomatoes, re-hydrated and minced
(pour boiling water over them and let them sit for a few minutes)
- salt and pepper to taste
In a food processor blend the olive oil and sun-dried tomatoes until you have a paste. (It’s ok if there are still some lumps in it). Add the rest of the ingredients, blend until creamy. Add a little water if you need to thin the mixture. Taste and adjust seasonings.
The night before: Make the pumpkin tofu ricotta and store in the fridge until morning.
In the morning: Spray the crock with olive oil so you won’t have a nightmare cleanup on your hands later on.
Break off the corners of one side on each piece of the lasagna noodles so that they fit snuggly in the crock pot.
- Spread thin layer of sauce covering the bottom of the slow cooker
- Put in a single layer of whole wheat lasagna noodles
- Now spread some of the cheese pumpkin mixture
- Spread another thin layer of sauce
- Sprinkle some of the white beans on top of that
Repeat those steps ending with a last layer of lasagna noodles and top that with sauce.
Cook on low for about 8 hours. It’s ok to leave it longer if you need to.