This recipe has been updated to cook on high for 1 1/2 to 2 hours instead of low all day. If you have an old slow cooker and yours has been fine cooking all day there’s no reason for you to change. However all the new slow cookers will turn it into mush if it cooks all day.
This is a twist on the heavy, fat laden traditional lasagna.
This is a perfect dish to serve at a dinner party. It’s easy to make and hearty. Just add a nice spinach salad with a balsamic vinaigrette and you’re all ready for company.
- 1 batch Pumpkin Tofu “Ricotta” – recipe below
- ¾ package of whole wheat lasagna
- 1 jar organic marinara sauce (homemade works fine too!)
- 1-16 0z can cooked white beans (low or no salt is best, and organic if you can find it)
- The night before: Make the pumpkin tofu ricotta and store in the fridge until morning.
- One and a half to 2 hours before dinner: Spray the crock with olive oil so you won't have a nightmare cleanup on your hands later on.
- Break off the corners of one side on each piece of the lasagna noodles so that they fit snuggly in the crock pot.
- Spread thin layer of sauce covering the bottom of the slow cooker
- Put in a single layer of whole wheat lasagna noodles
- Now spread some of the cheese pumpkin mixture
- Spread another thin layer of sauce
- Sprinkle some of the white beans on top of that
- Repeat those steps ending with a last layer of lasagna noodles and top that with sauce.
- 1 container tofu (silken, soft or firm - they all work fine)
- 1-15 oz. can cooked pumpkin (or the equivalent cooked fresh pumpkin)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast (give it a try adds a more cheesy flavor)
- 1 Tb. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 Tb olive oil
- 3 sun-dried tomatoes, re-hydrated and minced (pour boiling water over them and let them sit for a few minutes)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a food processor blend the olive oil and sun-dried tomatoes until you have a paste. (It’s ok if there are still some lumps in it). Add the rest of the ingredients, blend until creamy. Add a little water if you need to thin the mixture. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Cook on high for about 1½ to 2 hours.