Some weeks are just so busy. That usually means it’s time for me to start making dinner in the slow cooker. These Creamy Indian Lentils and Kidney Beans are one of my favorite dishes and one of my first choices when I can’t find a lot of time to spend in the kitchen.
This dish is so easy to make. You just throw in most of the ingredients in your 3 1/2 or 4-quart slow cooker and you can go to work while it cooks for 8 to 9 hours on low. When you get home, just stir in a few things and it’s ready to serve.
Vegan Slow Cooker Creamy Indian Lentils and Kidney Beans
Cook all day ingredients:
- 5 cups water
- 3 cups cooked Kidney Beans 2 - 15.5 ounce cans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup dry whole black lentils urad dal or sub mung beans or French lentils
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons grated ginger
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 cup cashew creamer 1/4 cup cashews blended with 1/2 cup water - double and use the rest in your coffee
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- salt to taste
- chopped cilantro for garnish
- Add all the cook all day ingredients to your 4-quart slow cooker and cook 8 to 9 hours on low (or 4 hours on high). The spices can lose some of their flavor with the long cooking time so we're adding a few flavor boosts before we serve.
- Stir in all the ingredients under the Before serving heading above.
- Mix well and serve over steamed brown basmati rice.