If you’ve been neglecting your slow cooker, fall is just around the corner and yours needs to get put back on your kitchen counter.
This Vegan Slow Cooker White Bean Pumpkin Lasagna is from my very first book, The Vegan Slow Cooker. It cooks in 1 1/2 to 2 hours, so it’s not a recipe that you can start in the morning. If you are looking for something that does cook all day try my Vegan Slow Cooker Creamy Indian Lentils and Kidney Beans or Italian Slow Cooker Cranberry Bean Soup with Greens.
It’s a twist on the traditional ultra-heavy lasagna. Instead of a pre-made vegan ricotta, it uses a homemade pumpkin tofu version.
If you are allergic to soy, you could use a nut ricotta or even Kite Hill’s pre-made ricotta.
Be sure to check out my slow cooker faq page for more slow cooker info, including how to pick out a slow cooker for you.
This is a perfect dish to serve at a dinner party or on a Saturday night. It’s easy to make and hearty enough for non-vegans to enjoy. Just add a green salad and some garlic bread and everyone will be happy!
Slow Cooker Protein Packed Pumpkin Lasagna - Updated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 sun-dried tomatoes, rehydrated (pour boiling water over them and let them sit for 5 minutes)
- 1 package (15 ounces) silken, soft, or firm tofu
- 1 can (15 ounces) cooked pumpkin or 1½ cups pureed pumpkin, cooked fresh
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- salt, to taste
- 3/4 package of whole wheat lasagna
- 1 jar organic marinara sauce (homemade works fine too!)
- 1-16 0z can cooked white beans (low or no salt is best, and organic if you can find it)
The night before:
- To make pumpkin-tofu ricotta: In food processor, blend olive oil and rehydrated sun-dried tomatoes until a paste forms. (There may still be some lumps.) Add remaining ricotta ingredients, and blend until creamy. Add a little water if mixture is too thick. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if desired. Store in airtight container in fridge.Make the pumpkin tofu ricotta and store in the fridge until morning.
One and a half to 2 hours before dinner:
- Spray the crock with olive oil so you won't have a nightmare cleanup on your hands later on.
- Break off the corners of one side on each piece of the lasagna noodles so that they fit snuggly in the crock pot.
- Spread thin layer of sauce covering the bottom of the slow cooker
- Put in a single layer of whole wheat lasagna noodles
- Now spread some of the cheese pumpkin mixture
- Spread another thin layer of sauce
- Sprinkle some of the white beans on top of that
- Repeat those steps ending with a last layer of lasagna noodles and top that with sauce.