I can turn any recipe into a spooky extravaganza and these Super-Scary Spicy Chili Stuffed Jack-O-Peppers are no exception.
But don’t worry, if Halloween’s not your holiday, no one turns their back on a warm bowl of hearty chili when the temperatures drop.
So enjoy it in a scary bell pepper, a plain bell pepper, or even some chili all by itself.
This chili get’s its spice from chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. It’s pureed into a sauce with the juice from the canned tomatoes, so you can make it as hot as you want by adding more or keep it mild for the kids and serve it all on the side.
It also makes for some spooky “blood” for your scary stuffed peppers. Another decorating trick is to stick a bean in each eye to make them seem a little more real.
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 to 2 peppers from a, 7 ounce can of Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
- 1 15.5 ounce can black beans
- 1 cup ground seitan, I used Sweet Earth ground Chipotle flavor
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- lime wedges and chopped cilantro, for serving
- Drain the tomatoes in a small food processor. Don't worry about getting every drop out of the can or squeezing them dry. You just want to get what pours out freely.
- Add 1 to 2 chipotle peppers to the food processor depending on how hot you want your sauce to be. You can also spoon some extra adobo sauce in from the can to get the heat level up. Puree and set aside.
- In a 1½ to 2 quart slow cooker add the contents left in the tomato can, 1 to 2 teaspoons of the chipotle sauce you just made, black beans, seitan, garlic, oregano and chili powder.
- Cook on low 7 to 9 hours (or 4 to 5 hours on high).
- Add salt and pepper to taste before serving.
- Serve with lime wedges and chopped cilantro along with the extra chipotle sauce you made on the side.
Amount Per Serving Calories 223Sodium 762mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 12gSugar 5gProtein 24g
Happy Halloween! Muah haha…
Get more spooky recipes:
- Ghoulishly Green Vegan Potato Soup
- Spooky Purple Potato Eyes with Smoked Avocado Mousse
- Swamp Monster Slow Cooker Jackfruit Gumbo
- Spooky Skull Vegan Pot Pies