Hard apple cider (or sparkling cider for the mocktail) and pumpkin spice syrup give this drink its sweetness and the flavors of fall.
This pumpkin spice cocktail with rum and hard cider is going to be your new drink to sip on while you enjoy the autumn.
It’s that awesome time of year again – pumpkin spice season.
I’m a fan of all things pumpkin and that means pumpkin drinks, pumpkin butter, spiced coffee drinks like pumpkin frappuccinos, and delicious cozy cocktails.
If you love autumn and the feel of the crisp coolness of fall in the air, this spiced-up rum cocktail is calling your name.
I love pumpkin spice latte recipes – really pretty much any vegan recipe that features pureed pumpkin as an ingredient.
And now my latest addition to my fall favorites: pumpkin spice rum cocktails.
Pumpkin spice’s warm spices and comforting aroma evoke memories of autumn afternoons and evenings spent sipping spiced cider around a fire.
What rum goes best with pumpkin spice?
I love spiced rum and there are a few local brands in North Carolina. I think a dark rum, spiced or not, stands up to the spices and is amazing in fall drinks.
Plus the caramel notes complement the hard apple cider flavors. You can buy a spiced rum or you can make your own.
Try my friend Susannah’s recipe for homemade spiced rum and you can use your favorite base spirit and even vary the spices to make it your own.
What’s a mocktail?
A mocktail just means a fancy and delicious drink with no alcohol.
When I have a gathering I also have a mocktail option for guests who don’t imbibe for whatever reason. You don’t need alcoholic drinks to have an amazing Halloween party.
Sometimes people avoid alcohol for health reasons, allergies, religious reasons, or because they have had issues with alcoholism.
But I think it makes a party fun when everyone gets to enjoy if they don’t drink for a reason or aren’t of legal drinking age.
To me, it doesn’t matter why – the important thing is to make all of my guests and the designated drivers feel special and know that I was thinking of them.
Did you know there are spirits that have zero alcohol?
I did know there were a few new no-alcohol blends for cocktails, but until a few months ago I didn’t know that there were alcohol-free gins, rums, tequilas, and more.
I ordered a few to try and so far so good. One thing to know is that some of them use chili peppers to reproduce the alcohol burn.
So if you hate anything with heat, be sure to read reviews.
Where can I get no alcohol rum?
If you are looking for a great way to get more info I would read their blog. I learned so much and it helped me decide which ones I wanted to try.
Where I live I can’t find it in a liquor store or grocery store, but you could try where you live.
Where does the pumpkin come from?
It’s not in the ingredients as a line item, but there is pumpkin puree, brown sugar or maple syrup, vanilla extract, and a tasty pumpkin spice blend in my pumpkin spice syrup recipe.
Pumpkin lovers adore it and you can use a store-bought syrup that’s usually just simple syrup infused with pumpkin pie spice if you hate pumpkin flavor.
How to make the pumpkin cocktail
You just need a bottle of hard apple cider, a shot of rum (spiced, dark, or your favorite), some bitter which really make this cocktail sing, a lime wedge to squeeze in, or a little lemon juice.
If you want to get really fancy some freshly grated nutmeg on top, add a cinnamon stick garnish, or a dash of pumpkin spice sprinkled on top.
Pumpkin spice mocktail: Zero Alcohol Version
Mix all together either in a pitcher or divide the ingredients between two glasses and mix with a spoon.
There are so many variations you can make and create your own delicious fall cocktails
- Use vanilla vodka in place of the rum
- Add a splash of vegan heavy cream to make it a creamy pumpkin drink
- Use a pumpkin spice liqueur in place of the pumpkin syrup
- Garnish with an orange peel
- Add a splash of ginger liqueur
- Top with a little vegan whipped cream
- Substitute some sparkling water or sparkling apple cider for the hard cider
- You can leave out the rum, use a splash of rum extract, or use the zero alcohol rum, or even use bourbon
- Skip the sparkling and use plain apple cider because this season calls for warm drinks like a hot toddy. This can be your virgin version!
How to serve mocktails and cocktails at your party
The most important thing is to separate the drink stations – especially if you choose to have the non-alcoholic rum on hand. You don’t want people getting those mixed up!
More Fall Drink Recipes
- Maple Spiced Hot Toddy
- Balsamic Fig Shrub
- Harry Potter Butterbeer Recipe
- Homemade Cinnamon Dolce Syrup
- Warm Horchata
- Vegan Hot White Chocolate
- Gingerbread Latte
- even more vegan warn drinks
Pumpkin Spice Cocktail with Rum and Hard Cider with Mocktail Option
- 12 ounce hard apple cider , or non-alcoholic sparkling apple cider to make the mocktail
- 1.5 ounce rum (spiced or dark if you have it), leave out for mocktail or use a no-alcohol rum
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin spice syrup
- 2 shakes bitters
- 1 lime wedge ,for garnish and to squeeze in
- 1 sprinkle nutmeg , optional for serving
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Pour into 2 glasses.