This weekend we needed a hot drink to warm us up after playing in the snow. I wasn’t in the mood for chocolate, so cocoa was out. But I had all the ingredients for a Vegan Warm Horchata.
What is Horchata?
All horchata is spiced up with cinnamon and has a base of homemade rice and almond milk. I add in some oats to the mixture to make it thicker.Typically you soak the grains with cinnamon sticks overnight. You can either use or discard the soaking liquid. Discard the cinnamon sticks and blend well in a high speed blender.
But Isn’t Horchata a Cold Drink?
I have an oatchata recipe that I make in the summer and this Warm Horchata is made very similarly. It’s refreshing cold, but it’s so amazing warm too.
What Do I Need to Know About Making Warm Horchata?
Because I use oats in this recipe in addition to brown rice and almonds you need to be mindful when you’re heating the mixture up on the stove.
The oats will begin to thicken so you will need to stir constantly while cooking.
If you get distracted a few lumps may form in the heated mixture. Just blend it up in your blender before you serve it to fix that. It makes it thick and creamy!
Overnight Soak Ingredients:
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1/4 cup long grain brown rice
- 1/4 cup steel cut oats, or an additional 1/4 cup brown rice
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- sweetener of choice, to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- pinch of salt, optional
- Add the water, almonds, brown rice, oats, and cinnamon sticks to your blender and soak overnight or up to 12 hours.
- Transfer the cinnamon sticks to a medium saucepan, then blend the rest of the ingredients until smooth.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer or nut milk bag into a saucepan.
- Add the sweetener, vanilla, and pinch of salt, if using, then heat over low heat, stirring constantly to keep the oat milk from forming small lumps until it's just hot.
- If there are some lumps, just pop it back into the blender and it will come out creamy.
I used 1/4 cup raw sugar for my sweetener choice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 111Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 0mgSodium 41mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 3gSugar 1gProtein 3g
Nutrition information is provided from nutritionix.com as a close estimate. If you have specific health issues please put the recipe information, including the exact ingredients you use, into the nutritional calculator your Dr. recommends.
More Recipes to Try
- 5 Coffeehouse Slow Cooker Recipes
- Orange Flower, Pistachio, and Date Oatmeal
- Vegan Carrot Koftas in Easy Blender Coconut Indian Sauce