I posted a recipe for Instant Pot Creamy Black-Eyed Peas and I wanted to give you a recipe for Vegan Slow Cooker Black-eyed Peas too. In the Southern US we eat black-eyed peas for luck on New Year’s Day.
Even if it’s not your tradition, it’s still an easy and healthy way to start off the new year.
You can use the slow cooker to cook plain black-eyed peas by only using the water and beans. Then they’ll be ready for you favorite recipes.
Slow Cooker Black-eyed Peas
- 1 pound dry black-eyed peas
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 cups of water or enough to cover the beans and about 1 inch above
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon jalapeño powder
- hot pepper powder chipotle etc., to taste
- smoked salt and pepper taste
- Tabasco on the side for serving
- In the morning: Add everything except salt and pepper to your 4 to 5 quart slow cooker. Cook on low 7 to 9 hours.
- Before serving: Taste and adjust seasonings if needed and add salt and pepper.
More Recipes to Try
- Instant Pot Apple Spice Steel Cut Oats for 2
- Creole Okra Corn Soup from The Easy Vegan Cookbook
- Instant Pot Vegan Black-Eyed Pea Jambalaya
- Super Easy Tofu Stir-fry Using a Kale Salad Kit!