I posted a recipe for Instant Pot Creamy Black-Eyed Peas and I wanted to give you a slow cooker recipe too. It’s been black-eyed pea week here on HSC because in the Southern US we eat black-eyed peas for luck on New Year’s Day.
Even if it’s not your tradition, it’s still an easy and healthy way to start off the new year.
You can use the slow cooker to cook plain black-eyed peas by only using the water and beans. Then they’ll be ready for you favorite recipes.
Slow Cooker Black-eyed Peas
- 1 pound dry black-eyed peas
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 cups of water, or enough to cover the beans and about 1 inch above
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/2 teaspoon jalapeño powder
- hot pepper powder (chipotle etc.), to taste
- smoked salt and pepper, taste
- Tabasco, on the side for serving
This uses a 4 quart slow cooker. If yours is larger you may need to add extra water.