Did you get a new Instant Pot while they were on sale?
Here’s a wonderful and easy breakfast for you to make, Instant Pot Apple Spice Steel Cut Oats. I’ve been seeing questions about cooking smaller amount in your 6 quart IP and I’m here to tell you that you can totally do it.
This recipe makes 2 large servings or 3 small ones. If you have a large family or are hosting a brunch you can double or even triple the recipe.
In case you’re wondering where you can get that beautiful heathered napkin, it’s from Beautiful Ingredient. She makes amazing handmade napkins, potholders and more. They are on my Christmas wish list and I bet they are perfect for someone you know too.
One of the things I love about my Instant Pot is that you can actually set a timer and have your oats ready to put in a thermos right before you leave in the morning.
I don’t often do it with cut apples because they brown. But you can either dip them in lemon juice or choose to add fresh apple or applesauce after the cooking is done.
You use the timer button to do this. But first select your cooking button which will be manual, then set the cooking time to 3 minutes. After that, can press the timer button and adjust with the + and – buttons.
If you notice the comments on my Instant Pot Pumpkin Coffeecake Steel-cut Oatmeal, you’ll notice that quite a few people don’t like their oats cooked for 3 minutes. They find them too hard, but I like them chewy.
Troubleshooting your oats:
You can always cook them for longer or try some of my slow cooker oatmeal recipes. They cook up very soft in the slow cooker. Some would even say mushy.
If there is extra liquid once the cook time is up and the oats are the way you like them, switch to off, then back on and select saute. Keep stirring as if the pot was on the stove and you can cook off any remaining liquid.
You can see more details about this in the video in the post or here.
Have an Ultra model Instant Pot?
I do find that an Ultra will put up a burn notice easier than the other models. If that happens to you, you may need to use a pot in pot method to make a smaller serving of oats.
Instant Pot Apple Spice Steel Cut Oats for 2
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- 1 medium apple peeled and chopped small
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- sweetener of choice to taste
- Add the oats, apple, water, and spices to your Instant Pot. Put your lid on and make sure the vent is closed. Plug it in and select the manual setting and set to cook on high pressure for 3 minutes. The Instant Pot timer will begin counting down the time once it gets up to pressure.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally. You’ll know when it’s ready because the round silver pressure gauge will drop down. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Open and mix in your choice of sweetener. Serve topped with your favorite nondairy milk. I like to use unsweetened vanilla.
- Note: if you don't like your oats chewy, then you can cook them longer.
More Recipes to Try
- Creamy Tomato Soup with Slow Cooker & Stove Top Instructions!
- Online Instant Pot Class – All About Soups!
- 14 Vegan Savory Oat Recipes
- Vegan Pear and Cranberry Instant Pot Cake