Cheryl loves corn, and I love making Creole Okra Corn Soup because there’s something magical about looking in the refrigerator and coming up with a one-bowl meal. This soup is light enough for an appetizer or for eating in the heat of summer. The corn and okra add texture to the fragrant vegetable broth.
Here’s another recipe from my book, The Easy Vegan Cookbook. This is the perfect time of the year to make this Creole Okra Corn Soup while there’s still fresh okra and corn at the farmers market.
But don’t worry – you can make it in the dead of winter too. It works great with frozen corn and okra. You could even freeze some right now to beat the winter blues! Make it on the stove-top or cook it all day in your slow cooker. This soup is just full of options.
Do you remove the seeds from okra?
You do not need to remove the seeds from okra, they are safe to eat. The seeds also provide fiber and have a leveley mouthfeel in soups.
Is Okra also called lady finger?
Yes, okra is known by many names including lady finger and bhindi. You have to try okra curry because it’s out of this world. https://simmertoslimmer.com/bhindi-okra-subzi/
But don’t forget that okra is amazing in gumbo. Be sure to try my butternut squash gumbo https://healthyslowcooking.com/vegan-butternut-squash-okra-gumbo-with-brown-rice/ or my jackfruit gumbo.https://healthyslowcooking.com/swamp-monster-slow-cooker-jackfruit-gumbo/
Is okra good for blood pressure?
Okras is magnesium-rich and magnesium is said to help lower blood pressure. Magnesium is also very good for the nerves and can help with sleep as well. I actually take Calm magnesium supplement every day.
The Easy Vegan Cookbook is full of recipes that are easy enough to make anytime. As usual, I have a chapter full of Make-Ahead Staples like: creamy gravy, cauliflower mince, pumpkin-cashew cream cheese and many more.
This Creole Okra Corn Soup is one of my favorite recipes from the book, but you’ll find quick and easy soups that you’ll be adding to your default dinner rotation. You won’t believe how simple it is to make a vegan creamy broccoli soup.
I’ll talk more about some of the recipes in upcoming posts and will have more recipes for you to try out!
More Recipes to Try
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Steaks from The Revised Vegan Slow Cooker
- Vegan Instant Pot Black-Eyed Pea Curry with Spinach
- 4 Easy Vegan Indian Recipes
Creole Okra Corn Soup
- 2 tablespoons 30 ml olive oil (*or sauté in water)
- 1/2 medium onion minced
- 1/2 medium green pepper minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups 710 ml vegetable broth (or water with 2 veggie bouillon cubes)
- 1 16 oz [454 g] bag frozen sliced okra (or equivalent weight of fresh okra)
- 2 cups 11 oz [328 g] fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 28 oz [794 g] can crushed tomatoes (fire-roasted or plain)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons 7 g smoked paprika (or plain paprika plus a few drops of liquid smoke)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- STOVE-TOP METHODHeat oil over medium heat and add the onion once it’s hot. Sauté until the onion becomes translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add green pepper and garlic, then sauté 3 minutes more. Stir in the broth, okra, corn, tomatoes and all spices except for the salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes over medium heat until the corn and okra are tender. Before serving, add salt and pepper to taste.
- SLOW COOKER METHODHeat oil over medium heat in a sauté pan and add the onion once it’s hot. Sauté until the onion becomes translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sautéed onions and everything else except the salt and black pepper to your 4-quart (4-L) slow cooker and cook on low for 7 to 10 hours. Before serving, add salt and pepper to taste.