TodayI have another black-eyed pea recipe for you and it’s from Indian Instant Pot Cookbook by Urvashi Pitre. This simple, healthy recipe for Black-Eyed Pea Curry with Spinach is made in your Instant Pot and is delightful!
I really love Urvashi’s book, especially that she gives you spice blend recipes and recommendation. Spices are so important in Indian cooking.
Below you can watch me make the recipe and see just how easy it is!The Indian Instant Pot Cookbook is not vegan, but it does have tons of vegetarian recipes that can be easily veganized with nondairy yogurt, vegan milk, and vegan butter or oil. It also has some accidentally vegan ones like this black-eyed pea curry too.
I’m going to try veganizing some of the chicken recipes with soy curls or chickpeas. And don’t forget that tofu is a great substitute for paneer.
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon black mustard seeds, or omit and double up on the cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried black-eyed peas
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups raw spinach
- Preheat the Instant Pot® by selecting Sauté and adjusting to More for high heat. When the inner cooking pot is hot, add the oil and heat until it is shimmering and add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds (if using). They will begin to sputter like popcorn popping. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomato and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until the tomato is softened.
- Add the turmeric, cayenne, cumin, coriander, and salt, and mix well.
- Add the black-eyed peas and water, and mix. Place the spinach on top.
- Lock the lid into place. Select Manual and adjust the pressure to High. Cook for 10 minutes. Allow 10 minutes of natural pressure release, then quick release any remaining pressure.
- When the cooking is complete, unlock and remove the lid. Stir and taste, adding more salt or cayenne if necessary. Serve with rice, chapattis, or naan.
Amount Per Serving Calories 197Sodium 625mgCarbohydrates 30gFiber 5gSugar 4gProtein 11g
More Recipes to Try