Slow Cooker Cabbage Steaks pairs cabbage steaks with potatoes that are cooked at the same time. Then you top with some unsweetened nondairy yogurt and some fresh dill. You can also salt and pepper to taste or even add a pinch of smoked paprika if you want.
Are you ready to switch gears? Holiday eating can be a little rough and I know I’m ready to get back on track. My Slow Cooker Cabbage Steaks from my new cookbook, The Vegan Slow Cooker Revised, are here to add an easy and healthy meal into your week.
This is probably the easiest way to make a meal of veggies and get started on your goals for the new year!
In case you didn’t know already, my latest book, The Vegan Slow Cooker, is actually a revised and expanded edition of my very first book. There are at least 20 new recipes and tweaks have been made on many of the originals.
There are all new photos by Kate Lewis and I like the new design of the book so much better. I also have added a slow cooker size for each of the recipes. If you only want one slow cooker then I recommend this Hamilton Beach model that lets you cook recipes for 2, 4, or 6 quart right in the same slow cooker!
You can get more of my slow cooker and accessory recommendations on my Amazon influencers page.
How Do You Cut Cabbage into Cabbage Steaks?
It’s important to slice from the middle, where the core is. This helps the cabbage slices stay together when you move them to and from the slow cooker. Of course if you only have end pieces left just cook them on the side that’s contained in the single leaf.
What Else Can You Cook with the Cabbage Steaks?
In the recipe I use baby potatoes, but you could cook any root vegetable you like. You will need to cut them up into medium pieces, all about the size.
More Recipes to Try
- Vegan Air Fryer Southern Fried “Chicken” Soy Curls
- 6 Vegan Slow Cooker Recipes for 2-Quart Crockpots
- Creamy Tomato Soup with Slow Cooker & Stove Top Instructions!
- 10 Amazing Vegan Soup Recipes You Need to Make Tonight
- 4 cups 600 g quartered baby potatoes (a mix of yellow, red, and purple if possible)
- 2 tablespoons 30 ml olive oil (optional) *leave out to make oil-free
- 4 ½-inch, or 1.3-cm cabbage slices (green or red)
- About 1 tablespoon, 15 ml spray olive oil, (*leave out to make oil-free)
- 2 teaspoons 2 g dried dill (or 4-inch [10-cm] sprigs of fresh dill)
BEFORE SERVING INGREDIENTS
- Unsweetened vegan yogurt
- Fresh dill
The Night Before:
- Slice 4 cabbage steaks from the thickest part of the cabbage. Coat sides with 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil, if using.
- Toss the potatoes in 1 tablespoon oil (if using). Store in the fridge overnight.
In The Morning:
- Either oil your crock* or line with parchment paper. Spread the potatoes out and layer cabbage steaks on top.
- Sprinkle dill and yogurt over the steaks. Cook on low 7 to 9 hours.
Amount Per Serving Calories 434Saturated Fat 1gSodium 175mgCarbohydrates 79gFiber 26gSugar 30gProtein 14g