Slow Cooker Tempeh Braised with Figs and Port Wine
Looking for a sophisticated dish? Well, look no further than this recipe from my first book, The Vegan Slow Cooker. This recipe combines the complex flavor of port wine with fresh figs and nutty tempeh. Serve over mashed potatoes with roasted asparagus for a meal that will wow the toughest critic.
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package (8 ounces, or 225 g) tempeh (*use plain soy tempeh to make this dish gluten-free), cubed
- 8 fresh figs, each cut into 6 wedges
- 1⁄2 cup (120 ml) water
- 1 cup (235 ml) port wine
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon (6 g) vegan chicken-flavored bouillon or 2 tablespoons (12 g) Chickeny Bouillon (page 19)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- The night before :
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and sauté the onion until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute longer.
- Combine in an airtight container with the cut-up tempeh and figs and store in the fridge.
- In the morning: Combine all the ingredients in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
I know that you’re gearing up for the big holiday feast, but you still have to eat a regular dinner the next few days. To make more time for prepping, you need an easy-to-make dinner that cooks while you are at work or running errands. Slow Cooker Tempeh Braised with Figs and Port Wine is from my first cookbook, The Vegan Slow Cooker and cooks up perfect in your crockpot.
This recipe embodies what I love about slow cookers – very little hands on time and it cooks without supervision. If you’re new to tempeh, it’s an Indonesian soy food. It has halved soybeans in it and is cultured. It’s a great substitution for any of your old non-vegan recipes and holds together great in the slow cooker.
You can make this with balsamic vinegar in place of the port wine – but only use 2 tablespoons vinegar and add extra water to make up a whole cup of liquid.