There’s a new kind of take-out in town – take (it) out of your slow cooker! This Kung Pao Cauliflower is so easy to make in your Crockpot and you can sub out seitan, chickpeas, or even cubed tofu for the cauliflower to make this dish your own. It’s the perfect plant based replacement for Kung Pao Chicken!
It’s so easy to make Kung Pao Cauliflower in your slow cooker!
I know if may seem counter-intuitive to make a stir-fry in your slow cooker, but it’s time to think out of the box. Any recipe that isn’t full of super-quick cooking veggies can be converted to a slow cooker dish.
Want more vegan slow cooker recipes?
This recipe is from the Revised Edition of my first book, The Vegan Slow Cooker. Which has over 100 vegan and plant based recipes for your crockpot.
For the new edition, I added lots of new oil-free, gluten-free and other options to make this version much more inclusive.
How can I make this gluten-free?
In the recipe I suggest using coconut aminos, but I usually use gluten-free tamari in place of soy sauce.
Is this Slow Cooker Kung Pao oil-free?
Made as is, it is not. But just leave out the sesame oil and top with some toasted sesame seeds. Can’t have seeds? Leave them out too!
More slow cooker recipes to try:
- Vegan Slow Cooker Curry Pot Pie
- Slow Cooker Whole Wheat Spelt Potato Rolls
- Slow Cooker Creamy Vegan Tomato Soup with Stove Top Instructions
- Tips on Picking Out a Slow Cooker That’s Right For You
What can I use in place of cauliflower?
That’s a great question. In fact, originally the recipe was Kung Pao seitan, but now I can’t have gluten, so cauliflower was my next choice.
But you could use a drained and rinsed can of chickpea, cubed firm tofu, or cubed tempeh. In a pinch potatoes would be delicious too 😉
- 3 cloves garlic, minced1 tablespoon (8 g) grated ginger
- 1½ cups (355 ml) water
- ¼ cup (60 ml) soy sauce (*use gluten-free **use coconut aminos)
- ¼ cup (60 ml) seasoned rice vinegar or plain rice vinegar mixed with 1 teaspoon sweetener
- 2 tablespoons (12 g) vegan chicken-flavored bouillon
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
SLOW COOKER INGREDIENTS
- 1 bell pepper, cored and diced
- 5 ounces (140 g) mushrooms, diced
- 1 can (8 ounces, or 225 g) water chestnuts, drained and diced
- 1 package (12 ounces, or 335 g) seitan, store-bought or homemade (page 238), diced (*sub 1½ cups chickpeas, cauliflower florets, or pressed tofu)
BEFORE SERVING INGREDIENTS
- 2 to 3 tablespoons (16 to 24 g) cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) sesame oil (*** leave out to make oil-free)
- Steamed rice, for serving
- Chopped peanuts, for serving
The night before:
To make the sauce: Combine all the sauce ingredients and store in an airtight container in the fridge. Store the cut-up bell pepper, mushrooms, water chestnuts, and seitan in an airtight container in the fridge.
In the morning:
Combine the sauce, pepper, mushrooms, water chestnuts, and seitan in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.
30 minutes before serving:
Turn up slow cooker to high. Make a thickener by mixing the cornstarch with some of the sauce from the slow cooker in a small cup, then add it back to the slow cooker. Right before serving, stir in the sesame oil. Serve over steamed rice, and top with the peanuts.
Gluten-free option* Soy-free option** No oil added option***
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 232Total Fat 3gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 40mgSodium 188mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 12g
Nutrition information is provided from nutritionix.com as a close estimate. If you have specific health issues please put the recipe information, including the exact ingredients you use, into the nutritional calculator your Dr. recommends.