I know that you’re gearing up for the big holiday feast, but you still have to eat a regular dinner the next few days. To make more time for prepping, you need an easy-to-make dinner that cooks while you are at work or running errands.
Slow Cooker Tempeh Braised with Figs and Port Wine is from my first cookbook, The Vegan Slow Cooker and cooks up perfectly in your crockpot.
This recipe embodies what I love about slow cookers – very little hands-on time and it cooks without supervision.
If you’re new to tempeh, it’s an Indonesian soy food. But you can even get non-soy versions like hemp.
It has halved soybeans in it and is cultured. It’s a great substitution for any of your old non-vegan recipes and holds together great in the slow cooker.
You can make this with balsamic vinegar in place of the port wine – but only use 2 tablespoons vinegar and add extra water to make up a whole cup of liquid.
More Vegan Slow Cooker Recipes
- Vegan Slow Cooker Beyond Meat Chili Recipe
- Kung Pao Cauliflower from Your Slow Cooker!
- Slow Cooker Cabbage Steaks
- Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup for 2 or 3
- Easy Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Pie with Miso
- It’s Time to Preserve the Harvest Again: Diced Tomatoes
- Slow Cooker Yellow-Eyed Bean Soup For 2
- Lots of Beans and Grains Slow Cooker Chili
- Slow Cooker Tofurky Recipe
- Crockpot White Bean Soup with Vegetables – No Oil
Slow Cooker Tempeh Braised with Figs and Port Wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil , or water saute to make oil-free
- 1 small onion minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 package 8 ounces, or 225 g tempeh (*use plain soy tempeh to make this dish gluten-free), cubed
- 8 fresh figs each cut into 6 wedges
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup port wine , use mushroom broth to make alcohol free
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegan chicken-flavored bouillon
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
The night before :
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and sauté the onion until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute longer.
- Combine in an airtight container with the cut-up tempeh and figs and store in the fridge.
- In the morning: Combine all the ingredients in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.