Here’s another recipe from my new book, The Easy Vegan Cookbook. This is the perfect time of the year to make this Creole Okra Corn Soup while there’s still fresh okra and corn at the farmers market.
But don’t worry – you can make it in the dead of winter too. It works great with frozen corn and okra. You could even freeze some right now to beat the winter blues!
Make it on the stove-top or cook it all day in your slow cooker. This soup is just full of options.
The Easy Vegan Cookbook is full of recipes that are easy enough t make anytime. As usual, I have a chapter full of Make-Ahead Staples like: creamy gravy, cauliflower mince, pumpkin-cashew cream cheese and many more.
This Creole Okra Corn Soup is one of my favorite recipes from the book, but you’ll find quick and easy soups that you’ll be adding to your default dinner rotation. You won’t believe how simple it is to make a vegan creamy broccoli soup.
I’ll talk more about some of the recipes in upcoming posts and will have more recipes for you to try out!
Serves: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil (*or sauté in water)
- ½ medium onion, minced
- ½ medium green pepper, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups (710 ml) vegetable broth (or water with 2 veggie bouillon cubes)
- 1 (16 oz [454 g]) bag frozen sliced okra (or equivalent weight of fresh okra)
- 2 cups (11 oz [328 g]) fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 (28 oz [794 g]) can crushed tomatoes (fire-roasted or plain)
- 1½ teaspoons (7 g) smoked paprika (or plain paprika plus a few drops of liquid smoke)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil over medium heat and add the onion once it’s hot. Sauté until the onion becomes translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add green pepper and garlic, then sauté 3 minutes more. Stir in the broth, okra, corn, tomatoes and all spices except for the salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes over medium heat until the corn and okra are tender. Before serving, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a sauté pan and add the onion once it’s hot. Sauté until the onion becomes translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sautéed onions and everything else except the salt and black pepper to your 4-quart (4-L) slow cooker and cook on low for 7 to 10 hours. Before serving, add salt and pepper to taste.