These vegan oat sausage crumbles are made with steel-cut oats and spices. They fit into most special diets since they are naturally soy-free, nut-free and have no added oil. They are gluten-free if you use gluten-free oats too!
How Can I Make These Gluten-free?
Even though oats don’t contain gluten, they are often contaminated with gluten in the harvesting process. It’s important to buy oats that are labeled gluten-free if you have issues with gluten.
How Do You Make Vegan Oat Sausage Crumbles?
I love sausage spices and each one of my books have a unique vegan sausage recipe. In this one, you mix the cooked oats with the spices, then you spread the mixture out on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
You break it up as it cooks. First it will be very mushy, but eventually it will be dry enough to crumble.
Where Can I Use Vegan Oat Sausage Crumbles?
You can use it on pastas, salads and even to top biscuits and gravy. What you can’t do is put it into a soup, stew, or something with lots of liquid. If you do, the oats will absorb it and return to an oatmeal texture.
The Are Perfect on Pizza!
I like to make a double batch and freeze one so it’s ready to go when I get a pizza craving. I think you should make one this week and I know that I’ll be making one this week. Get the recipe for Julie Hasson’s pizza dough here.
What’s your favorite pizza topping? Let me know in the comments. I love to use my Vegan Kale Stem Pasta Sauce as a pizza sauce. You should give it a try too!
What Variations Can I Make?
Try using chorizo, cajun, or other spice blends to change up the flavor of these crumbles.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
- 2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or more, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground rosemary , or 1/2 teaspoon regular
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a saucepan, add water and oats, bringing to a boil before lowering the heat. Cook covered for 10 minutes. Mix all the other ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Uncover the oats and cook for an additional 5 minutes while stirring to release some of the moisture. Remove the oats from heat and add the spice mixture, mixing well.
- Spoon the oat mixture onto the parchment paper and try to distribute it as evenly as possible. Use a second piece of parchment paper to cover the mixture, flattening it as much as possible. Then remove the top piece of parchment.
- Bake for 10 minutes, and then remove the pan from the oven. Cut lines into the sausage with a spatula. You aren’t trying to move it; this just makes more room for the steam to escape.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Then scrape and break the sausage into pieces.
- Bake for another 5 minutes until it is easily crumbled. Use as a pizza topping or freeze for another time!
Gluten-free, soy-free, oil-free
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 3 Serving Size 1 grams
Amount Per Serving Calories 171Total Fat 3gUnsaturated Fat 0gSodium 299mgCarbohydrates 29gFiber 5gProtein 7g