These Sloppy Black-Eyed Peas are one of my favorite recipes from my third cookbook, Vegan Slow Cooking for Two or Just You. It’s full of good-for-you ingredients and it takes very little hands on time.
The black-eyed peas cook down in your 1 1/2 to 2 quart slow cooker into a thick stew as they meld with the Cajun seasoning and veggies to create a New Orleans–inspired Sloppy Joe.
It’s great inside a bun or ladled over an open-faced bun. Millet has a slightly sweet taste and adds some extra iron and protein, as well as making it more hearty. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup black-eyed peas, , dry and not soaked
- 1/3 cup carrots, , chopped
- 1/6 cup millet
- 2 tablespoons minced bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, ,minced
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke, ,to taste
- 1 cup minced greens , (collards, kale, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 buns, ,for serving (*use gluten-free)
In the morning
- Add all the morning ingredients to the slow cooker and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.
Thirty minutes before serving
- Add the greens and tomato paste.
- Add the salt and pepper right before serving and more Cajun seasoning if needed.
- Serve open-faced style with the black-eyed pea mixture ladled over a lightly toasted bun.
Amount Per Serving Calories 305Sodium 452mgCarbohydrates 58gFiber 6gSugar 8gProtein 11g