The Vegan Slow Cooker for Two or Just You comes out tomorrow so will you join me in some overnight breakfast burritos to celebrate?
Sometimes even I need a change from oatmeal. Make this burrito filling right before you go to bed, and it will even let you sleep in. (Add extra water if you’ll sleep in longer than 9 hours.) If you have leftovers, prep extra burritos and store in fridge or freezer for busy weekday mornings.
Scrambled Tofu Breakfast Burrito
- 1 1/2 cups 258 g cooked or 1 can (15 ounces, or 425 g) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 7 ounces 200 g tofu, crumbled (no need to press)
- 2 tablespoons 11 g cooked onion (page 19)
- 2 tablespoons 19 g green pepper, minced
- 3/4 cup 175 ml water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 whole-wheat burrito-sized tortillas **use gluten-free
- Extras: salsa vegan sour cream, Cashew Cream (page 28) or *Extra-Thick Silken Tofu Sour Cream (page 28), shredded vegan cheese (*omit to make oil-fee), lettuce, avocado, etc.
- The night before: Add black beans through smoked paprika and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.
- In the morning: Taste and add salt and pepper. If your tortillas are stiff, put them one at a time over the mixture in the slow cooker and steam them into submission.
- Spoon ¼ of the mixture onto the tortillas.
- Add any extras you’d like, roll up, and serve.
Get more recipe for your 1 1/2 to 2 quart slow cookers:
- in my book, The Vegan Slow Cooker for Two or Just You
- 6 Vegan Slow Cooker Recipes for 2-Quart Crockpots
- Slow Cooker Lentil Quinoa Taco Filling