I make these slow cooker lentil quinoa tacos all the time in my 2 quart slow cooker. This vegan taco meat substitute is 100% plant based, gluten-free, soy-free and has no added oil. This easy recipe is hands off and can cook while you’re away for the day and is a great change from refried bean tacos.
My Lentil Quinoa Taco Filling contains no soy or gluten but has a meaty texture that tacos love. Think outside the taco and try it on salads or even pizza!
Can I Add Some Extra Veggies in This Lentil Quinoa Taco Filling?
This filling is a great place to stash some shredded greens, fresh chopped summer squash, and more seasonal goodies from your market.
You can add long cooking veggies like potato, mushrooms, sweet potatoes, or other root veggies with the other ingredients right in the slow cooker.
Quick cooking veggies are better added 20 to 30 minutes Another option is to add them raw straight to your to freshen it up a bit. Let your imagination guide you.
Why Make Lentil Quinoa Taco Filling in Your Slow Cooker?
It’s just so easy to throw everything in the slow cooker and then go to work, run errands, or just spend your time knocking things off your to-do list.
Try serving with some Vegan Slow Cooker Mole with Potatoes and Bean to round out the meal.
Slow Cooker Lentil-Quinoa Taco Filling from Vegan Slow Cooking for Two
- 1/4 cup 48 g brown lentils
- 1/4 cup 48 g beluga lentils or brown lentils
- 1/4 cup 43 g quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups 475 ml water
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 soft or hard corn taco shells use gluten-free shells to make this gluten-free and use fat free soft taco shells to keep it oil-free
- Add all the ingredients except the salt, pepper, and taco shells to the 1½- to 2-quart slow cooker and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.
- Before serving, add salt and pepper.
- Taste and adjust any of the seasonings as needed.
- Serve in taco shells with lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, or any of your other favorite taco toppings.