I figured if you can have a cauliflower steak, I could make Roasted Butternut Squash Burgers. There’s nothing in it but seasoned butternut squash slices and you can freeze the extras or cut them up and use them in salads.
Just so you know, this post is sponsored by Sabra. I’m lucky to be one of their Sabra Tastemakers for the year and get to create fun recipes for them.
Sabra has a new line of spreads and 2 of them are vegan! I used the garlic herb on my butternut squash veggie burger and I’ve been using the sea salt and cracked pepper on my vegan grilled cheese sandwiches. You use it like you would mayo and it has less fat.
Other good news is that the soybean oil Sabra uses in these spreads is non-GMO! I’ve checked their latest hummus labels and the oil is listed as non-GMO there as well.
Try to select a squash that has a longer neck, so you can get more slices out of the solid part of the butternut squash.
Go ahead and remove the seeds from the bottom, peel and cube it. Then it’s ready to go in a Vegan Butternut Squash Okra Gumbo with Brown Rice, Butternut Squash And Kale Lo Mein With Crispy Tofu, or Butternut Squash Frijoles.
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- pepper, to taste
- smoked salt, to taste
- minced fresh rosemary or sage, to taste
- Sabra Spread, garlic herb flavor
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Place parchment paper on a large baking sheet.
- Carefully cut off the neck of the squash, then remove the end with the stalk, and peel. You will reserve the bottom of the squash for other uses.
- Slice the squash into rounds. Slice them about ¼ inch thick. You can make them thicker, but you may need to cook them longer.
- Brush both sides of each squash round with oil and place on the baking sheet. Sprinkle the pepper, salt, and herbs on one side. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven and flip the squash pieces. Now sprinkle the pepper, salt, and herbs on one side. Cook for 5 minutes longer, or until the middle of each piece is the same color as the edges. If they are underdone, they will be darker orange in the middle.
- Lightly toast your bun, slather on some Sabra spread, and add some fresh kale for a little crunch. Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving Calories 51Sodium 152mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 1g