I’m not sure how every holiday occasion has snuck up on me this year . I love to celebrate, but as an admitted overachiever, I want to make everything from scratch. Unfortunately, my life isn’t built to be Martha Stewart compatible, although I would love a staff of people to help me do all those good things – any volunteers? I’ve let go of some of my unrealistic expectations, but baking some of my own vegan holiday food gifts is not something I’m willing to part with.
Cookies are my default baked good. I avoid making the same old flavor year after year, although Cheryl would love it if I made chocolate chip walnut cookies every time. She would also love vegan mac and chez with gardein chick’n fingers every night for dinner…
I love the bright flavors of lemon and I am guilty of putting it in almost any dessert I can come up with. Have you ever tried it in your homemade yogurt? It’s my favorite. It even seems to wake me up faster because it’s so refreshing.
I use lemon and orange food-grade oils in these cookies. Typically you use much less oil than extract but I have these cookies ramped up with citrusy flavor. You can use extracts in place of the oils 1:1 in this recipe and double the zest to 2 tablespoons.
I usually find my food-grade oils in the section with the extracts. I’ve seen a ton at Home Goods and TJ Maxx lately, so take a peek while you’re doing your holiday shopping.
Crispy Citrus Rosemary Cookies
- 1 cup 149 grams unbleached flour
- 1 cup 144 grams finely ground cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground rosemary
- 3/4 cup 170 grams sugar
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed mixed with 4 tablespoons warm water
- 2 teaspoons Boyajian lemon oil
- 2 teaspoons Boyajian orange oil
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Oil a sheet pan or line with parchment paper.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and rosemary in a large mixing bowl.
- In a stand mixer, cream the sugar and coconut oil until soft and creamy. Add the flaxseed mixture, lemon oil, and orange oil and mix until incorporated. Add the rosemary and lemon zest and mix well. Add the flour mixture in 3 batches, mixing until incorporated before next addition.
- Remove bowl from the mixer and use a spatula to scrape the dough to the center. Make sure to check at the very bottom to make sure no flour is hiding there. If there is, mix it in.
- Using a 1 tablespoon cookie scoop, drop your cookies onto the sheet pan keeping at least 2 inches in between. (The cookies will spread out).
- Using the back of a wooden spoon, press the cookie into a flat circle. Bake until the edges turn golden brown, 10 to 13 minutes. Remove and transfer cookies to a cooling rack to prevent overcooking on the warm sheet pan.
- Repeat until all the dough has been used and your house smells like a lovely bakery.