Vegan Strawberry Shortcake for Everyone!
What’s not to love about a vegan strawberry shortcake? This recipe takes a little extra time because you’re making it from scratch but this recipe is worth it and uses aquafaba. Before you know it my vegan strawberry shortcake recipe will be your go-to all summer long.
I love to tinker with recipes and it drives Cheryl crazy. It’s just my nature to change things up each time. That’s why I made an out of the box Lavender Gin Strawberry Shortcake instead of the plain one I grew up on.
The Old Not as Healthy Strawberry Shortcake
My Mom prepared her strawberries for shortcake like most people in the 70s. She would cut up the strawberries and sprinkle them with sugar, mix and let marinate in the refrigerator.
Those strawberries then went into store-bought cake cups and topped with a large spoonful of Cool Whip. I have a much healthier version for you that’s tastier too!
DIY Strawberry Shortcake Cake “Cups”
Since I wanted to make a strawberry shortcake that reminded me of my childhood – the little cake cups that were displayed in front of the fresh strawberries at the grocery store. The best part of those was that they were spongy and soaked up all the sweet strawberry juice.
I had some Wilton Mini Tasty Fill 4 Piece Pans in the cupboard and they made the exact shape I was looking for. The trick is to just barely cover up the middle part so they don’t get too thick.
Can I Make This with No Oil Added?
I made one version with oil and another one with no oil, but I will admit to spraying the pans with olive oil for both to make sure they didn’t stick. But you can cook the batter in a muffin pan and use liners to keep them oil free.
Make the Filling
It takes no time to mash up the strawberry filling. It’s just chopped strawberries mashed with a little gin, balsamic vinegar and some NuNaturals Simple Syrup made with stevia. Depending on how sweet your strawberries are you may not need the simple syrup and you can use your choice of sweetener to taste if you don’t care for stevia.
Why I Use Gin in This Recipe
I love the botanical taste of gin and love to add it to desserts to give them a slightly herbaceous flavor. You can also leave it out if you don’t imbibe or make some strong lavender tea to use in its place.
My favorite gin is Uncle Val’s Botanical Gin. It has an unusual combination of herbs that are amazing together: juniper, cucumber, lemon, sage, and lavender. The flavors are subtle, but the slight lavender flavor is what makes it my favorite. You can use plain gin if you can’t find Val’s.
Do I have to By Lavender Balsamic Vinegar?
I happened to have some lavender balsamic vinegar on hand, but you can use regular balsamic and add some lavender extract into the strawberry mixture. If you don’t like lavender just leave it out.This dessert is meant to make you happy, so feel free to change out ingredients.
- 1/2 cup vegan yogurt, unsweetened or plain
- 1/2 cup unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup avocado or olive oil, make oil free by using an additional 1/4 cup applesauce instead
- 3 tablespoons aquafaba*, see note in summary
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 15 drops [url]NuNaturals liquid stevia∞http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00068PCBS/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00068PCBS&linkCode=as2&tag=healslowcook-20&linkId=D7MBJFSBSRP5J363[/url] or 25 drops [url]NuNaturals Lo Han Guo extract∞http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D3ZDL32/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00D3ZDL32&linkCode=as2&tag=healslowcook-20&linkId=ZV6AUO73YGLPZKVA[/url], monkfruit or sweetener of your choice, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1- quart strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons gin, Uncle Val's uses lavender and is my favorite
- 2 teaspoons lavender balsamic vinegar, or plain balsamic plus 1/4 teaspoon lavender extract
- whipped coconut cream
- chopped mint
- culinary lavender
- Make the cakePreheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease 6 mini cake pans or line a muffin pan with cupcake papers.
- Mix the wet ingredients in a medium bowl and the dry in another. Add the dry to the wet and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Use a ¼ cup scoop and add one scoop per muffin cup. If you are using the Wilton Mini Tasty Fill 4 Piece Pans use 1½ scoops per pan.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Make the fillingPut all the strawberry filling ingredients in a bowl and mash some with a potato masher. You just want to extract some of the juices, but most of the berries pieces will be whole.
- Put it all togetherGenerously ladle the strawberry mixture over the cake. If you are using muffins you can split them first. Top with vegan whipped cream, culinary lavender or even more strawberry mixture.
Amount Per Serving Calories 179Saturated Fat 2gCholesterol 2mgSodium 236mgCarbohydrates 26gFiber 4gSugar 7gProtein 3g