This Vegan Slow Cooker Curry Pot Pie Topped with Whole Wheat Biscuits is a variation of my original Veggie Pot Pie from The Vegan Slow Cooker. Today’s version has different veggies and is lightly spiced with curry flavors.
In the old version, I cooked the biscuits in the slow cooker, and some people didn’t care for their biscuits being more dumpling-like. In this one, we still put the uncooked dough on top of the stew in the slow cooker. But then we put the crock in the oven to cook the biscuits. I think you’ll love doing it this way.
This is another post in my series of recipes sponsored by the Idaho Potato Commission. You can never have too many recipes for potatoes and this one makes an easy and delicious summer dinner.
I wanted to make this the perfect autumn dish. So I made tiny biscuits using my leave and acorn cookie cutters. The top of the pot pie looks like the leaves that will soon be scattered under all of the trees in our yard. Of course, it doesn’t have the layers of pine needles that are already piling up. I live in North Carolina, after all.
I made this in my favorite 3 1/2 quart Cuisinart Slow Cooker, but it would work in any 4 or 5 quart crockpot too.
The stew is full of Idaho® potatoes, butternut winter squash, carrots, and chickpeas. That makes this a great meal to make from your pantry. Garam masala is a great spice blend to always have on hand.
I served this with a green salad and some cardamom-spiced hot tea. You could make a quick cucumber yogurt sauce to serve on the side.
Vegan Slow Cooker Curry Pot Pie Topped with Whole Wheat Biscuits
- 2 1/2 cups chopped Idaho® potatoes
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups chopped butternut squash
- 1 15.5 ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger or 1 teaspoon dry ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup plain unsweetened soy milk or nondairy milk of your choice
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 2/3 to 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour plus 1/4 cup extra for the cutting board
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or other mild oil
- Spray your 4 to 5 quart slow cooker with oil to aid in clean up.
- Add all the stew ingredient to your slow cooker and mix well.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.
- Note: If your slow cooker runs hot or boils on low, add an additional ½ cup of liquid.
- minutes before serving preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the soy milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside so it will curdle. Note: this will only work with soy milk because of its protein content.
- Mix 1 2/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour, cumin seeds, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the avocado oil to the soy milk mixture and stir until incorporated.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix well.
- If the dough is too sticky add the additional 1/3 cup whole wheat flour.
- Flour a cutting board and transfer the dough to it. Roll or pat into a round of about 1/2 inch thickness.
- Use small cookie cutters or cut into 1-inch squares.
- Roll up the excess dough and repeat until all the dough is used.
- minutes before serving stir the stew, taste and add additional salt and spices as needed.
- Then arrange the uncooked biscuits on top of the stew in the slow cooker, and remove the crock.
- Put your slow cooker crock, uncovered, into your oven and bake 8 to 12 minutes, or until the biscuits have set and <g class="gr_ gr_82 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" id="82" data-gr-id="82">have</g> slightly browned.