Halloween food is almost always about the eyes. Slicing up veggies and layering them with olives to turn even a simple salad into a haunted treat. These Spooky Purple Potato Eyes with Smoked Avocado Mousse will add a spook factor and have your guests asking for more.
Just so you know, this is another post in my series of recipes sponsored by the Idaho Potato Commission. Vegans can never have enough potato recipes. I can’t get enough of these purple fingerling potatoes for spooky Halloween recipes. Many thanks to the Idaho Potato Commission for sending these to me. ♥
Since the Idaho Potato Commission sent me larger fingerlings I was a tad bit worried how they would work, but these made better eye shapes than the smaller ones I’ve used before.
These are so easy to make. Cook the potatoes, slice lengthwise, scoop out a little room for the avocado and top with an olive slice.
These are so easy to make. Cook the potatoes, slice lengthwise, scoop out a little room for the avocado and top with
Spooky Purple Potato Eyes with Smoked Avocado Mousse
This is a great last minute Halloween treat. It's nutritious and creates the perfect spooky mood!
- 12 blue fingerling potatoes
- 24 pimento-filled olive slices
For the avocado mousse
- Cook the potatoes on the stove until tender (or in your Instant Pot on high for 8 to 10 minutes and release the pressure naturally.)
- Let the potatoes cool, then slice in half lengthwise. Use a melon scoop to make room for the mousse.
- Mash the avocado in a mixing bowl, then add the lemon juice or vinegar, liquid smoke, and salt. Mix well.
- Scoop the avocado mousse into the potato holes you made and top with an olive slice.
- Serve as an appetizer on their own or on top of a salad or soup.