It’s time to break out my Halloween e-cookbook, The Ghoulish Gourmet: A Bewitching Collection of Vegan Halloween Recipes, and make some Harry Potter’s Pumpkin Juice to get in the spirit. This year you can buy it on Amazon as a Kindle book or click on one of the buy now buttons in this post to get it as a pdf.
It has 25 original recipes and all but 4 of them have never been seen before! One of them is my favorite autumn drink – Harry Potter’s Pumpkin Juice. Scroll to the bottom of this post to get the recipe.
I had a blast setting up the props and taking the photos. It was almost as fun as eating…I mean making all the recipes. The photo above is a super easy Ghoulishly Green Potato Soup.
The Ghoulish Gourmet pdf can be read on your computer, iPad or phone. You can even read it using the free Kindle or iBook software. It costs $8.95 and you can click the buy now button to purchase. (A Kindle specific version is also now available.)
If I were you, first I’d make the Moonit Zucchini Mummies above. Your kids will gobble them up and ask for more veggies. Now that’s a great way to celebrate Halloween!
Serves: 4 to 6 servings
- 10 dried apricots
- 1½ cups water
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 7 whole allspice berries
- 2 (2-inch) pieces of thinly sliced ginger
- ½ vanilla bean, split (or ½ teaspoon vanilla extract)
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Soak the apricots in the water for at least 4 hours or overnight in the fridge. Add the apple juice, cinnamon stick, allspice, ginger and vanilla bean to a saucepan. Bring almost to boil, then turn heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Take off heat and let it cool a bit.
- Add the apricots and the soaking water to a blender and blend until smooth. Add the pumpkin purée and nutmeg and blend again. Strain the apple juice mixture into the blender to make sure only the liquid comes through. Blend until smooth.
- Put a fine mesh strainer over a pitcher and strain the pulp so that only the thick juice drips into the pitcher. Sprinkle with ground nutmeg before serving.