Slow Cooker Pumpkin Coffeecake Oatmeal

I’m back on my oatmeal obsession just in time for Vegan Month of Food. I realized fall and winter will bring even more flavors into my oatmeal mix. Plus, is it really an obsession if it doesn’t raise its head every once in a while?

In case you didn’t already know this about me, I am in love with pumpkin and winter squash. They are good for you and can be used in everything from stews and casseroles to desserts and breakfast.

In the next few weeks you can look forward to some winter squash slow cooker recipes along with more delicious oatmeal flavors that are worth getting out of bed for! (There may even be pears and apples involved too.)

Happy Fall!

** Make sure to check out my other oatmeal recipes. I have over 40 different flavors!

Slow Cooker Pumpkin Coffeecake Oatmeal
soy-free and gluten-free
2 to 3 servings

**This recipe uses a smaller slow cooker 1 1/2 to 2 quarts

• 1/2 cup (40g) steel-cut oats
  • 1 3/4 cup (437ml) Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk (or plain plus 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract)
  • 1/2 cup (124g) pumpkin
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
coffee cake topping
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar (or other sweetener if you don’t use refined sugar)
  • 3 tablespoons pecans or walnuts, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

The night before: Mix toppings in a small container and cover until the morning. Spray your crock with some oil to help with clean up later (optional). Add all the ingredients except the toppings. Cook on low over night (7 to 9 hours).

In the morning: Stir your oatmeal well. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should be a more uniform consistency. Top with coffee cake topping.

Comments

1. You had me at coffee cake topping. WIll you pour me a bowl? I want some NOW! :)

2. Oh I love that idea. That’ll be a perfect breakfast :)

3. Wow, this sounds so good. ‘Tis the season for pumpkin everything.

4. I. Must. Make. This. Now!!!!! :) So much yum!

5. Yum!

6. Oh, that looks so delicious! Can’t wait to give this a try!

7. Kathy, this oatmeal sounds absolutely amazing! I can’t get enough pumpkin this time of year, and oatmeal is my staple cold-weather breakfast. Fantastic :).

8. I think this recipe is a must try! Sounds like a great breakfast or snacktime!

9. I eat pumpkin spiced oatmeal almost every morning…but I’ve got to try this topping tomorrow! It sounds like a heavenly treat!

10. Amy Roach says:

This is an amazing recipe. Put it on last night for breakfast this morning and my daughter and I enjoyed before we were out the door for school/work. Think this has encouraged me to try some other combinations. So quick and simple. Thank you!

11. I don’t usually think about breakfast until morning but this sounds amazing! It sounds like a Christmas morning meal.

12. michelle says:

My kids loved it! I have now made it 3 times and they still ask for it!

13. Hi, would you have to use steel oats or could you use regular old oatmeal? Sounds yummy, LOVE pumpkin.

• Kathy Hester says:

You do need to use steel cut oats to use the recipe as is. You can try rolled oats, but they will cook much faster and will likely end up burnt in the am, so you’ll need much more liquid.

14. I love steel-cut oatmeal! Do you know if this recipe works when it is doubled & cooked in a 5 quart slow cooker? It would serve more people.
    Thank you!

• Kathy Hester says:

Lyn,

That should work. You may even be able to triple it!

• Mary Blakelock says:

Yes it can be doubled as that is what I did for the same reason, my crock pot was bigger so I doubled. It was so good my doubled amount is gone between two of us. Yes all gone, it is so good.

• Kathy Hester says:

Mary,

I’m glad you liked it. Depending on the size of your larger slow cooker, you may have needed extra liquid when doubling it. So next time I’d add an extra cup of liquid if you are making it in the same slow cooker. You dont’ need to stir as it’s cooking, but if you are awake and in the kitchen you can stir. Just know it may increase your cooking time,

Don’t disappear though. Fill it up with soapy water and let it sit for at least 8 to 12 hours. The burned on part will peel out easily. You may have to scrub a bit to get it completely clean, but it will be so easy after you soak it.

Happy Thanksgiving!

15. Just one word to describe this….YUMMO!!!

16. Mary Blakelock says:

Wow, this was the best oatmeal I have ever had. It is Thanksgiving here in Canada today and I thought great time to try this one.

My adult son and I both loved it, great flavour, texture and the topping is just as great. I was a little concerned about the calorie and sugar content as I am dieting, but decided to treat myself anyway because of the holiday. I did use my Splenda Brown sugar instead of the regular one. I doubled the recipe as it sounded great wish it was. It is all gone.

My only issue was it made a big mess on my slow cooker pot. Still trying to clean it up. I did spray it with PAM before hand but did not seem to be of much help. Any suggestions on saving such a mess on the slow cooker pot? I was also wondering if I should perhaps have stirred it half way through the cooking. Thanks for the great breakfast.

• Kathy Hester says:

I replied above about this – sorry I replied to the wrong comment!

• Diane the Enchanted says:

I have a way to fix ths problem. Put water half way up an oven proof dish and place the dish in the slowcooker uncovered but cover the slowcooker. Pam the dish before putting the oatmeal. Works everytime!

• I don’t know if they have them in Canada, but there is a great product called Crock Pot Liners. Looks like a big baggie that fits in the crockpot. They are wonderful for messy dishes like this. Worth their weight in gold at clean-up time!

17. Don Massi says:

This looks delicious, but what kind of pumpkin do you use? Can you use canned pumpkin puree? Thanks, can’t wait to try this!

• Kathy Hester says:

You can use canned pumpkin puree. There’s also a recipe on the blog to cook your own pumpkin puree and if you make that you can use it in this recipe too.

18. Stacey Campbell says:

I’d like to use something besides pumpkin. Any ideas? Apples? How much would you suggest? Just not a big pumpkin eater but up for suggestions. Love crock pot oatmeal. Would love to incorporate just brown sugar and raisins if possible.

19. can you use regular mike, no milk?t almond

• Kathy Hester says:

I don’t cook with milk at all so I can’t tell you what the results would be. You can use water and not use any milk.