In case you didn’t already know this about me, I am in love with pumpkin and winter squash. They are good for you and can be used in just about any sweet or savory dish. They also keep last through much of the winter when stored inside. Or if you’re lucky you might find a sale on canned pumpkin puree right after Thanksgiving.
This oatmeal has a healthy steel-cut oat base mixed with pumpkin and spices. The sweetness comes from the topping, but you can always add some extra sweetener or a splash a vanilla nondairy milk to make it a little sweeter.
Make sure to check out my other oatmeal recipes.
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Coffeecake Oatmeal
soy-free and gluten-free **This recipe uses a smaller slow cooker 1½ to 2 quarts
- 1/2 cup (40g) steel-cut oats
- 1 3/4 cup (437ml) Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk (or plain plus 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract)
- 1/2 cup (124g) pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
coffee cake topping
The night before:
- Mix toppings in a small container and cover until the morning. Spray your crock with some oil to help with clean up later (optional).
- Add all the ingredients except the toppings.
- Cook on low overnight (7 to 9 hours).
In the morning:
- Stir your oatmeal well. It may seem watery at the top but if stirred it should be a more uniform consistency.
- Top with coffee cake topping.