I used to always keep a can of vegan chili in the pantry, but with this Vegan Instant Pot Cranberry Bean, Millet and Bulgur Chili now I just grab a portion from the freezer to use. It’s so much cheaper!
This makes a big batch and I always freeze the leftovers in 1 1/2 cups which is about the same amount that’s in a standard can.
This is similar to my small slow cooker recipe Lots of Beans and Grains Slow Cooker Chili, so if you don’t have an Instant Pot you can skip over there now.
Vegan Instant Pot Cranberry Bean, Millet and Bulgur Chili
This makes a big batch of chili. I like to make it and leave some out for dinner and freeze the rest in portions. I use this to make a chili cheese dip and chili cheese mac, so I like to always have some to pull out on a night I feel lazy.
First Cook Ingredients
- 1 pound dry cranberry beans (or sub pintos or black beans), about 2 cups
- 3 cups water
Second Cook Ingredients
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14.5 oz/411g) can diced tomatoes with green chilis or jalapenos (or plain if you prefer)
- 1/2 cup bulgur (use quinoa to make gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup millet
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho or chipotle powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cashew cream, optional
- vegan shredded cheese, optional
- hot sauce, optional
- pickled jalapenos, optional
- Add the beans and first 3 cups of water to your Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure for 25 minutes and wait for the pressure to release naturally. Note: If your beans are old the may not cook thoroughly, you may need to cook them another 5 minutes.
- Take the lid off and add all of the second cook ingredients. Cover, close the vent and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes and let the pressure release naturally.
- Before serving add salt and pepper to taste. You can also adjust the spices at this point if you'd like it spicier or if you feel like the cumin dulled too much during cooking.
- I like to serve it up with all the fixings on the table for people to use as they wish.