There are some new tacos, but this book goes far beyond a few mix and match recipes. You get info on Mexico, basic ingredients, techniques, and all kinds of staples like tortillas, beans, and homemade chili powder.
This book has a little of everything including homemade salsas, empanadas, gorditas, ceviche, Mexican sandwiches like tortas and tamales.
You’ll expand your Mexican menu into salads like watermelon, jicama, pozole, chilaquiles, mole, grilled veggies with a homemade chile rub, breads, drinks and even sweets.
I think this is a must have book if you love Mexican cuisine as much as I do.
- 1 teaspoon corn oil, plus more for frying
- 1 cactus paddle or large zucchini, trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch dice
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup shredded seitan or 1 large portobello mushroom, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/4 cup adobo sauce from 1, 7-ounce can chipotles in adobo
- 4 burrito-size flour tortillas
- 1 cup refried beans
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- Salsa of your choice
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over high heat. Add the cactus paddle or zucchini and salt to the skillet, and cook for 7 to 8 minutes. Set aside. Toss the seitan or portobello in the adobo and set aside. Add enough oil to a deep fryer or Dutch oven to cover a burrito by 1 to 2 inches and bring it to 375°F.
- Along the left side of a tortilla, spread ¼ cup of the Refried Beans, leaving about 2 inches uncovered on both the bottom and top of the tortilla. Place ¼ cup of the seitan or portobello on top of the beans, followed by 2 to 3 tablespoons of cactus. Roll the tortilla closed about halfway. Fold the top and bottom of the tortilla inward, then tightly roll the rest of the tortilla closed, tucking the top and bottom folds into the tortilla as you roll it, making a burrito. Repeat this with the remainder of the filling and tortillas.
- Working one at a time, add a burrito to the hot oil, holding it closed with tongs, and fry it for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and transfer to a paper towel to drain. Repeat with the remaining burritos. Serve with shredded lettuce and your favorite salsa.
Amount Per Serving Calories 232Saturated Fat 1gSodium 693mgCarbohydrates 36gFiber 5gSugar 5gProtein 9g