This recipe from Vegan Slow Cooking for Two or Just You is a wholesome twist to the traditional Louisiana okra stew. Mine adds nutrition-packed quinoa in place of the usual rice.
Make sure to serve with your favorite hot sauce on the side so everyone can take it to the spice level they want it to be.
No white beans? Use what you have on hand. Small red beans or chickpeas would be a great substitute for the white beans. Also, if you have some left over bits of veggies, this is a good place to use them up!
White Bean Quinoa Gumbo
- For the morning ingredients: 2 1/2 cups 570 ml water
- 1 cup 100 g sliced okra
- 1/4 cup 54 g dry Great Northern
- beans or other small white bean
- 1 tablespoon 5.5 g sautéed minced onion
- 2 tablespoons 15 g celery, minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cube bouillon
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper to taste
- 2 whole allspice berries
- For the evening ingredients: 1 cup 180 g diced tomatoes
- 1/8 cup 25 g quinoa
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- In the morning: Add all the morning ingredients and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.
- Thirty minutes before serving: Add all the evening ingredients except the salt and pepper. Mix well. Cook for 30 minutes on low.
- Before serving, add salt and pepper.
- Taste and adjust any of the seasonings as needed.
If you have an singles or couples on your holiday list try getting them Vegan Slow Cooking for Two or Just You and a 2-quart slow cooker. It’s a great combo for new vegans, empty nesters, retirees and those who want just enough vegan food. A 2-quart slow cooker is small enough to fit in a dorm room, tiny apartment, or travel with you in your RV!