This recipe from Vegan Slow Cooking for Two or Just You is a wholesome twist to the traditional Louisiana okra stew. Mine adds nutrition-packed quinoa in place of the usual rice.
Make sure to serve with your favorite hot sauce on the side so everyone can take it to the spice level they want it to be.
No white beans? Use what you have on hand. Small red beans or chickpeas would be a great substitute for the white beans. Also, if you have some left over bits of veggies, this is a good place to use them up!
For the morning ingredients:
- 2 1/2 cups, 570 ml water
- 1 cup 100 g sliced okra
- 1/4 cup 54 g dry Great Northern
- beans or other small white bean
- 1 tablespoon 5.5 g sautéed minced onion
- 2 tablespoons 15 g celery, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cube bouillon
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 2 whole allspice berries
For the evening ingredients:
- 1 cup, 180 g diced tomatoes
- 1/8 cup 25 g quinoa
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- In the morning: Add all the morning ingredients and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.
- Thirty minutes before serving: Add all the evening ingredients except the salt and pepper. Mix well. Cook for 30 minutes on low.
- Before serving, add salt and pepper.
- Taste and adjust any of the seasonings as needed.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Lundberg Family Farms - Organic Quinoa Tri-Color Blend, Blend of White, Black & Red Quinoa, Gluten-Free
Vegan Slow Cooking for Two or Just for You: More than 100 Delicious One-Pot Meals for Your 1.5-Quart/Litre Slow Cooker
Organic Great Northern Beans (Dried, Non-GMO, Kosher, Raw, Sproutable, Bulk Seeds, Product of the USA) — 10 Pounds
Nutrition InformationYield 5 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 136Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 0mgSodium 389mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 7gSugar 8gProtein 7g
Nutrition information is provided from nutritionix.com as a close estimate. If you have specific health issues please put the recipe information, including the exact ingredients you use, into the nutritional calculator your Dr. recommends.
If you have an singles or couples on your holiday list try getting them Vegan Slow Cooking for Two or Just You and a 2-quart slow cooker. It’s a great combo for new vegans, empty nesters, retirees and those who want just enough vegan food. A 2-quart slow cooker is small enough to fit in a dorm room, tiny apartment, or travel with you in your RV!