If you have been reading my blog for a while, you know I love Joni Newman. Not only does she dabble in comfort food, burgers and delicious recipes in general – she is also the answer to your holiday budget. She will help you spread the vegan tastiness around!
Last year I gave away her Salted Caramel Sauce as gifts and it got rave reviews. I have to admit I gifted myself a jar of it too.
The recipes in Vegan Food Gifts are varied enough to fit everyone on your gift list, and includes cookies and other baked goods. My favorite chapter is her dry mixes for soups, dressings, mocha and much more. The selection of goodies in the canning chapter is amazing – and if any of you were wondering – I’d love some of the Lemon Lavender Curd in my stocking.
Oh yeah, there are infused liquors like a homemade coffee liquor and even a vegan Irish creme. Not to mention the Minty Doggie Biscuit recipe (below) that my pups love.
All in all, this book is my best friend for the holidays and I think it can be yours too! Right now I’m marking recipes to make this year’s gifts for friends and family.
- 1 tablespoon 15 ml vegetable oil
- 1 cup 235 ml water
- 2 1 ⁄2 cups, 300 g whole wheat flour
- 1 ⁄2 cup, 39 g quick-cooking oats
- 1 ⁄3 cup, 20 g fifinely chopped fresh mint
- 1 ⁄3 cup, 20 g finely chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (170°C, or gas mark 3).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the oil and water.
- Slowly add the flour, oats, mint, and parsley and mix until well combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll out to 1⁄4 inch (6 mm) thick.
- Cut into fun shapes with cookie cutters.
- Bake for 35 minutes, turning them halfway through to make sure they don’t brown too much on one side.
- Let cool before packaging.
Amount Per Serving Calories 658Saturated Fat 1gSodium 17mgCarbohydrates 123gFiber 19gSugar 1gProtein 24g
Dress Up and Gift it!
Wrap in cellophane bags, Super Simple Gift Envelopes (see page 12 Vegan Food Gifts), or Window Treat Boxes (see page 16 Vegan Food Gifts) tied up with pretty ribbons with an attached card that reads, “The fresh flavor of parsley and mint helps freshen a doggie’s breath. Mint can also be soothing to the stomach and nervous system, while parsley can help with joint pain.”