I’ve been sick for the past few days and that’s no fun at all. But at least having an Instant Pot can make it a little better. A girl still has to eat and Lentils and Rice with Rutabaga is a good one to make when you don’t have the energy to stand in front of the stove.
You can make this even less hands on by substituting onion powder and granulated garlic so you don’t even have to saute anything. Just dump in all the ingredients and about 1 teaspoon each of the onion powder and granulated garlic and cook on the pressure cooker setting.
The recipe is from my new book, The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook for Your Instant Pot. If you already have a copy of the book, please do me a favor and add a review for it on Amazon. It can even be one sentence, but it can make a huge difference in sales. Thank you!
Vegan Instant Pot One-Pot Lentils and Rice
Some winter nights are so cold it’s hard to tear yourself away from the fire to make dinner. This is the recipe you need to make. It’s hearty, filling, and uses staples from your pantry. Plus, there’s only about 10 minutes of hands-on time, then you can go back to the couch and curl up under a throw until it’s ready to eat. Not cold where you are? This is still a winner because it takes so little effort to make!
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) oil (or *dry sauté or add a little water/vegetable broth)
- 1/2 cup (80 g) chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
PRESSURE COOKER INGREDIENTS
- 3 1/2 cups (820 ml) water
- 1 1/2 cups (278 g) brown rice
- 1 cup (192 g) brown lentils
- 1 cup (160 g) peeled and diced rutabaga (or turnip or potato)
- 2\" (5-cm) sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp (2 g) dried marjoram (or thyme)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- For the sauté, use the sauté setting over normal, or medium heat, and heat the oil or broth. Add the onion and sauté until transparent, 5 minutes. Then add the garlic and sauté a minute more.
- For the pressure cooker, add the water, brown rice, lentils, rutabaga, rosemary and marjoram to the onion mixture and stir to combine. Put the lid on and make sure that the vent is sealed. Cook on manual setting at high pressure and set for 23 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally. Season with salt and pepper before serving and add more marjoram and ground rosemary as needed.
You don’t have to use rutabagas, but if you’ve never tried them I think you will be amazed at how delicious they are in this dish. You could use any root veggies though, including potatoes.